• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Keep my 6800U or trade for X800-XT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EZ-Spidey

Not too long ago, I upgraded vidcards to a BFG 6800 Ultra.

I've been very happy with it so far but there are a few things that are begining
to bother me but mainly, its the lack of VIVO and noisy fan :(

To solve these two problems, I guess I can easily get a VGA Silencer cooler and
invest in a decent PCI TV-in card. However, this is adding to overall cost.

The other solution is I have is a friend with a modded X800-XT PE (from the pro
version) cooled by the newer Zalman+fan VGA cooler.

He offered to trade cards. Should I?

I heard these 2 cards perform more or less on par. The only real concern I have
is if the X800-XT PE runs Maya without any issue.

absoultly!!!!! no doubt that trade is awsum and ur friend is crazy for wanting trade it ps that card has the same oc potental as a normal xtpe but the ultra can driver mod to a quadro witch ouns in maya but ur ultra doesnt do as good in games as the xtpe (except doom3)

ID MAKE THAT TRADE IN A HEARTBEAT GET IT :drool:

Nah I wouldnt bother. I'd keep your 6800U unless the xT is a PCI-E version. They are roughly the same in peformance and the U is more balanced

Yeah, he's big into DOOM 3 and Far Cry!

I personaly stoped playing it ever since I finished it. I play Far Cry on and off.

Maya is the main thing. So far, all I did was use the Quadro drivers without any
mods and the performance was light and day. I had some issues right of the start
when I used the GF FX drivers.

meant benchmark lol

i agree cause wat he uses it for the ultra is better (doom and maya)

but id trade in most other cases

Last edited:
Thanks for the fast replies.

Hopefully someone using Maya and the X800 will share his or her experiences.

I Dont Know For Shure But Ithink That The X800 Will Perform About A Little More Than Half As Good As The Ultra With The Quadro Mod In Maya/3ds Studio Max

i dont know if i would trade.. you never know what your getting. maybe your "friend" wants a better overclocker cause his card stinks. i donno though. i bet they are about the same... i would keep your card if i were you, but if you really want the ATI, then trade

Man, keep your 6800U as he has got an modded card and you have the full wollop, the 6800U is a very good card and with updated drives and pure video! Nvidia is heading the right way after the FX series! I mean if the it was an actull X800XTPE then it mught be comparible, but why do you think he is swapping you? Rember Benchmarks are benchmarks, just coz your Video card gets more, then another brand doesn't mean, in game you will have the same experince! as in gaming uses somany diffrent languages! at one time stick with what you got i dont think its worth it!

Blackmage said:
Man, keep your 6800U as he has got an modded card and you have the full wollop, the 6800U is a very good card and with updated drives and pure video! Nvidia is heading the right way after the FX series! I mean if the it was an actull X800XTPE then it mught be comparible, but why do you think he is swapping you? Rember Benchmarks are benchmarks, just coz your Video card gets more, then another brand doesn't mean, in game you will have the same experince! as in gaming uses somany diffrent languages! at one time stick with what you got i dont think its worth it!

Absolutely. Great Post and I feel its right on Target. If it wernt a Modded card Id think about it. But since its not, I wouldnt even give this a second thought. He has something in mind here. Maybe his card Just doesnt run the games he playes very well, there prolly OGL And he Knows the NV will whoop up on the ATI?

Harry

keep it. 6800u and x800xt-pe are neck and neck, and if you look at the unmodded oc results you'll see the 6800u has more headroom. anyone who tells you to trade either wants your card or is a fanboy with no experience.

Also look at the value between the two cards. A true 6800U is worth more than an X800-XT.

I don't use Maya but I use 3D Studio Max. I know where you stand on this issue though. I've had good luck with any card and 3D Programs. It truely doesn't matter what card you have they will run it unless its a really old voodoo type card which I don't think we gotta worry about.

I use to use Max on a TI4400 that I switched between quattro and normal all the time when I worked with 3D Programs. Then upgraded to a 9800Pro, then to my current card. Truely yes it does help with most aspects of things but the preformance is nearly identical unless you mod it to the graphics station version, which there you'll see a preformance difference.

Edit: Overall since nVidia does better in OpenGL instances its better to just run with the nVidia card. Since most likely your running a OpenGL driver in Maya. Since it runs faster I'd assume.

In max at least OpenGL and Direct3D have little issues on preformance and doesn't seem to be buggy from what I've experianced with 7.0

WOW!

Thanks alot guys. I'll just invest in a cheap Video-In PCI card for now and if noise
really becomes an issue, maybe an NV5 Silencer.

Back