• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is a overclocked 6800 XT junction temp of 108 degrees Celsius okay? It maxed out at 111 degrees Celsius for a second too which seems bad.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Segundoh

Registered
I overclocked my 6800 XT. I have a minimum clock speed of 2309 and a maximum clock speed of 2409. The memory clock is 2112 MHz with fast timing. It’s undervolted to 1100 mV.

Do these temps seem concering? Both of My idle GPU temps are 40-50 degrees Celsius and the max temp at load is 70-80 degrees while the max junction temp is 103 degrees Celsius, but it's usually around 95-100 degrees Celsius. I just saw my junction temps max out at 108 degrees Celsius when I was running the Boundary benchmark. It typically ranges from 100 to 104 degrees Celsius, but it jumps up at some points to 107 or 108 degrees Celsius. It apparently maxed out at 111 degrees Celsius according to HWiNFO which is definitely concerning although I didn't even see that when I was looking at it. Is this okay, or should I reduce my overclock?

Wow that is HOT. The junction temperature has nothing to do w/the GDDR6 memory does it? Or is the junction temperature like the hot spot temperature in Nvidia GPU's?

I've never seen temps like those in any videocard I've ever owned -- even when I forget to turn on the (high power) cooling fans attached to the videocard.

Wow that is HOT. The junction temperature has nothing to do w/the GDDR6 memory does it? Or is the junction temperature like the hot spot temperature in Nvidia GPU's?

I've never seen temps like those in any videocard I've ever owned -- even when I forget to turn on the (high power) cooling fans attached to the videocard.
At stock settings, it seems that the junction temp maxed out at around 100 degrees Celsius at stock settings and the GPU speed is about 70 degrees C which is at least lower. Does this still seem bad, or is this normal? How high were the highest temps you’ve seen for a video card? And I believe the junction temp is the same as the NVIDIA hot spot temp though I’m not completely sure. And I see so it’s not even that hot without fans… that’s definitely concerning then.

I'm not sure if those temps are a concern w/AMD videocards, I haven't done much with AMD videocards since my now ancient 6970!

I'm not sure if those temps are a concern w/AMD videocards, I haven't done much with AMD videocards since my now ancient 6970!
Oh okay I’ll look into my temps more and all. Hopefully they’re okay though I don’t really know for sure

I have a 6800 XT & I'd be concerned about 110C hotspot. It's not likely to hurt the hardware, but it may be causing throttling that hurt your overclock effort.
Can you loop Port Royal with GPUz open to sensors & see if the GPU or VRAM clocks are being throttled when the hotspot temp get that high?

I have a 6800 XT & I'd be concerned about 110C hotspot. It's not likely to hurt the hardware, but it may be causing throttling that hurt your overclock effort.
Can you loop Port Royal with GPUz open to sensors & see if the GPU or VRAM clocks are being throttled when the hotspot temp get that high?
I see, so it’s throttling it but it’s unlikely that it’ll hurt the hardware at least. I don’t have Port Royal, so is there a free option that would work and all like Boundary or something else? If not, I’ll definitely buy Port Royal and just loop that. Just to make sure, is that the $2.99 one on Steam?

No one has ever accused me of being the sharpest knife in the drawer. :chair: :LOL:
I meant Time Spy because that is the free one from UL, not Port Royal. Sorry.

It might be throttling, that’s why you want to test it with a stress test. If the GPU clock & memory are staying up at your settings and you don’t see frames rates drop, you are okay at the high hotspot temp. But if you see clocks dropping or frame rates drop dial the overclocking back a little & see if it stops.

No one has ever accused me of being the sharpest knife in the drawer. :chair: :LOL:
I meant Time Spy because that is the free one from UL, not Port Royal. Sorry.

It might be throttling, that’s why you want to test it with a stress test. If the GPU clock & memory are staying up at your settings and you don’t see frames rates drop, you are okay at the high hotspot temp. But if you see clocks dropping or frame rates drop dial the overclocking back a little & see if it stops.
No problem, no one accuses me of that either lol. Anyway, it appears that the GPU clock and memory clocks are pretty consistent unless I missed something. It does seem that my temps are lower than the Boundary temps though since it never reaches 111 degrees C. I had to manually loop Time Spy since I apparently need to buy 3DMark to loop it; that's why there are all those gaps where all of these values decrease drastically, but the GPU clock and memory seem consistently high when the temps are high. Here are my sensor logs: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uAamu_LFxGAIvga3vJkUTFJH_Inp2jqW/view?usp=sharing

That sounds like your overclock is fine if the clocks are running steady. :thup:

I can't see your log file, it's asking me to login. Can you do a screenshot & attach it here as an image?

That sounds like your overclock is fine if the clocks are running steady. :thup:

I can't see your log file, it's asking me to login. Can you do a screenshot & attach it here as an image?
I forgot to set General Access to "Anyone with the link." Is that working now? If not, I'll take a screenshot. Also, it's good to hear that seems fine then! Thanks.

Yes, the link is working. I can see the GPU clock drops to just under 2300 when the hotspot is over 100C. Nothing to complain or worry about there IMO.
That’s good to hear! It’s good that OC is working fine then. I won’t worry about that then. Since you said it dropped to under 2300, does that mean it’s normal or is it throttling a little bit since I set the minimum to 2309? I suppose it doesn’t exactly follow the Min and max clock speeds though.

If it was real throttling, like overheating, then you would see below 2000MHz and voltage drops. +/-100MHz is a normal card's behavior. The hot spot temps are usually around 100°C under high load. I don't remember exactly, but max is 110 or 115°C before the card starts to throttle. At first, it's barely visible. When you play games, then the card is barely ever at a constant 100% load. Short breaks let it cool down a bit.

If it was real throttling, like overheating, then you would see below 2000MHz and voltage drops. +/-100MHz is a normal card's behavior. The hot spot temps are usually around 100°C under high load. I don't remember exactly, but max is 110 or 115°C before the card starts to throttle. At first, it's barely visible. When you play games, then the card is barely ever at a constant 100% load. Short breaks let it cool down a bit.
Oh okay that makes sense! It appears that the max hotspot temp for a 6800 XT is 110 degrees C, so it seems it was throttling in a little the Boundary benchmark since it maxed out at 111 degrees C. Ill try thag again to see if it actually does downclock. And that’s good to hear that +-100 is fine.that’s true, there are breaks in any game; I suppose it’s different from a benchmark that is at constant 100% load. Thanks!

Back