• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

a bunch o' watercooling questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chuckchippie

Registered
Man am i frustrated...I have bought and Intercooler w/ spiral block, and here' my problem. I REALLY wanna watercool my video card...but I don't know how to mod the system to accomodate it, or what I need to buy to add to the water system. Some help? How big a pump do I need? and where can I get a 1/2" Y-adapter?

you don't need a Y adapter, you can have it keep going in a loop, theoriticly it will affect the temp of the water just as much. There is a guide on the main page, with kewl pics, go looky there.

how would it affect the water the same

I think i do need adapters. To rerout the water the the vidcard, otherwise i'll be sending water that is hot from my CPU to the vidcard. Can you link me the the article that says otherwise?

it just seems to me that the water wouldnt be very effective, it would get heat from the GPU (which is HOT sometimes) and wouldnt be as efficient at cooling my CPU

I always thought in a duel watercooled system, eg gpu and cpu that the hottest goes first in line. Basically, you run your pump to the cpu first, then gpu. Remember that a top line AMD pumps out a HELL of a lot more heat than even a GeForce3 chip.

It wouldn't be very efficient to setup two pumps/radiators just to get the gpu a few degrees cooler at most. Anyway, ANYTHING is better than the crappy hsfs that vid card manufacturers put on their gpu chips!

you video card can handle alot more heat thin your cpu can I think in the 50c is normal for a gf2 card

so you shouldnt need a nother radiator

even after the water goes through the cpu block it still isnt hotter thin 40c

and like Pitspawn said anything is better thin the stock heatsinks...

just put thim is series and you should be fine

pump/radiator/cpu/video

the radiator should come after the pump?

most setups I've seen have the radiator last in line..

like pump->cpu->chipset->vidcard->radiator

I think it depends on your room temperature and the size of the reservoir, if the room temp. is relatively low and/or larger reservoir

pump(reserivor)->cpu->chipset->vidcard->radiator

-the reservoir can store cooler water and the room temp. helps

if the room temp. is relatively high and/or smaller reservoir

pump(reserivor)->radiator->cpu->chipset->vidcard

-warm water have chance to cool down before reaching cpu/chipset but may need a larger radiator

just my 2 cents

Fuzz

Back