• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vantec TORNADO is VERY LOUD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

samuraisam

No fsking kidding ITS VERY LOUD!!!!!!

Does anyone know of a way to turn it down? I have a Chaitech Zenith 9CJS motherboard, there rest of my specs are in my sig.

My ears are bleading from the sound! :(

So I need a way to turn it down, is there a way to do it with software?

-Sam

First off ure sig is scarry :D

I have a Vantec Tornado (80 mm) And running max all the time, its rated at 55 dBa and well I thought it was loud as hell to but I got used to it. I even got in a fight with it and like many almost lost a finger :p but yeah I think scence you cant plug it to mobo(if u do mobo fryage) you would need a fan controller of the ssort to slow her down.

nope... get a fan controller, thats the only way i can think of... or you can 7/5v it... which means taking the power connectors out of the 3-pin fan connector and then hooking them up to a 4-pin standard molex acording to a diagram...

12v:

Fan Red-><-Pin 1 (Yellow)
Fan Black-><-Pin 2 (black)SAME AS PIN 3
-------<-Pin 3 (black)SAME AS PIN 2
-------<-Pin 4 (Red)

5v:

-------<-Pin 1 (Yellow)
Fan Black-><-Pin 2 (black)> BLACK WIRES ARE THE SAME
-------<-Pin 3 (black)---->SAME AS PIN 2
Fan Red-><-Pin 4 (Red)

7v:

Fan Red-><-Pin 1 (Yellow)
-------<-Pin 2 (black)
-------<-Pin 3 (black)
Fan Black-><-Pin 4 (Red)

it doesn't matter which black you connect the black fan wire to unless you are 7volting

this requires making a molex pin remover, see this

then to remove fan pins, you need tweezers... put it in the top of the connector so it pushes down on the tabs on the pin, then just pull out the pin (hard to explain).... then you just either solder the pin to the molex 4-pin, or do what i did (slip the fan pin over the removed molex 4-pin pin, then just bent it to fit within the molex housing)

unfortunately thats the tradeoff with fans, if you want to push a lot of air you get a lot of noise. if your looking to move the same amount of air for less noise then you need to get larger (ei 120mm>80mm) or thicker (38mm>25mm) fans.
the other option is to get a fa controller aka rheobus.
i believe the sunbeam one is one of the best in the category as it can vary the voltage on fans from 12V-0V (although the cut-out voltage depends on the fan)

rofl... duh the tornado is loud - they have decibel ratings in the specs for a reason

but i have my 80mm tornado on a fan controller running @ about 7v most of the time - still louder than any other case fan, but atleast it won't make you go deaf

and just a warning, the 7v molex mod doesnt work with some PSU's because of the way that they regulate the voltage rails - OCZ's are one of these that don't work (atleast my friends OCZ 600w)

samuraisam said:
No fsking kidding ITS VERY LOUD!!!!!!

Does anyone know of a way to turn it down? I have a Chaitech Zenith 9CJS motherboard, there rest of my specs are in my sig.

My ears are bleading from the sound! :(

So I need a way to turn it down, is there a way to do it with software?

-Sam
No, you are gonna have to buy a fan-controller.

LOL. Buy a fan controller or sell it in the classifieds so I can add yet another one to my collection. LOL

I don't even hear my Tornados anymore whenever I use my computer. Probably because my 220 CFM 65 dBA Delta drowns it out. LOL

Hey electron I heard you had that Delta on your Xp-120, how is it (besides loud) and is Vibraton an issue? I want it but would be cool if you could give me some performance with it etc. :D

only downside to that fan besides noise is the fact that it draws ungodly amounts of power - its something like 30w... no fan controller readily available can control a 30w fan... not even sidewinder's custom high-wattage fan controller (can only handle 25w)

GunnerMan said:
Hey electron I heard you had that Delta on your Xp-120, how is it (besides loud) and is Vibraton an issue? I want it but would be cool if you could give me some performance with it etc. :D

No major vibration issues. But my GOD does it move some air and the air pressure is incredible. As far as noise you never have to wonder if your CPU fan is spinning or not. Even in the other room.

Sneaky said:
only downside to that fan besides noise is the fact that it draws ungodly amounts of power - its something like 30w... no fan controller readily available can control a 30w fan... not even sidewinder's custom high-wattage fan controller (can only handle 25w)

This can tame it. I am ordering one tonight.

80 OHM, 25 WATT RHEOSTAT

I will let you guys know how it works.

30W wow, but people have Tornados on controlers all the time it seems. Or maybe your talkin bout the Delta, noise wouldint worry me but another 30 W outa her might bring it to its knees.....

Electron Chaser said:
No major vibration issues. But my GOD does it move some air and the air pressure is incredible. As far as noise you never have to wonder if your CPU fan is spinning or not. Even in the other room.

This can tame it. I am ordering one tonight.

80 OHM, 25 WATT RHEOSTAT

I will let you guys know how it works.

Quote from sidewindercomputers.com

Delta 120x38mm TFB1212GHE Extreme High Speed

Specifications: 120x120x38mm, 220.01 CFM @ 4600 RPM, 65.0 dBA, 29.40 watts, 2.45 amps, Maximum Air Pressure 26.44 mm H²O, 12v DC, 3 or 3+4 pin Molex header connector(s).

GunnerMan said:
30W wow, but people have Tornados on controlers all the time it seems. Or maybe your talkin bout the Delta, noise wouldint worry me but another 30 W outa her might bring it to its knees.....

I run dual PSUs. One is just for powering all my fans.

Thanks for the help guys. I now know how to do the voltage mod.

But I said screw it and put the zalman fan back on. The extra fan speeds didn't let me overclock any more. I decided to just re-apply my crappily applied thermal grease, put the zalman fan back on and now I'm 100 mhz higher (2.4-->3.5 @ full load of course).

-Sam

P.S. My friends will get a kick out of how loud this mother is.

i remeber the first time i took my cpu over to my friends house after i got my tornado. i turned it all the way up, both my tornado and my smart fans, and i couldn't really hear what he was sayign to me :D

my 92mm Tornado sounds like a hairdryer at 12v...no joke...cant even imagine what your 120mm delta sounds like.

subtotal said:
...The other option is to get a fan controller aka rheobus.
i believe the sunbeam one is one of the best in the category as it can vary the voltage on fans from 12V-0V (although the cut-out voltage depends on the fan)

I can vouch for that!!! :clap: :clap:

The Sunbeam Rheobus ROX! 20w per CHANNEL, and with 4 channels, handles just about anything you throw at it, including Deltas...(well, maybe not Electron Chasers Deltas.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:, but all others np) My crappy fans cut out at about 7v I think.....but they light up all nice 'n blue...lol

o, btw....don't tell me about how awsome your fans are....it takes a real man (er...geek... :p ) to run this bad boy...let alone 3 (intake, exhaust, cpu)...check the video here as well...
FrozenCPU 172x150mm Fan (265 CFM)

and the Sunbeam Rheobus can handle 4 of them....one per channel!! :drool:

Electron Chaser said:
LOL. Buy a fan controller or sell it in the classifieds so I can add yet another one to my collection. LOL

I don't even hear my Tornados anymore whenever I use my computer. Probably because my 220 CFM 65 dBA Delta drowns it out. LOL

Good god.... :eek:
----
My suggestion is to get a fan controller. It's sooo much easier (and safer) than rewiring the thing. Because you could easily mess up and cause the fan not to work at all. Plus a fan controller is also good because you could turn it down way far during normal internet/office use and turn it on high during gaming and stuff (but of course wear headphones ;)).

SlipViper said:
I can vouch for that!!! :clap:

The Sunbeam Rheobus ROX! 20w per CHANNEL, and with 4 channels, handles just about anything you throw at it, including Deltas...(well, maybe not Electron Chasers Deltas.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:, but all others np) My crappy fans cut out at about 7v I think.....but they light up all nice 'n blue...lol

o, btw....don't tell me about how awsome your fans are....it takes a real man (er...geek... :p ) to run this bad boy...let alone 3 (intake, exhaust, cpu)...check the video here as well...
FrozenCPU 172x150mm Fan (265 CFM)

and the Sunbeam Rheobus can handle 4 of them....one per channel!! :drool:

Where would you put such a big thing like that tho? No HS is made for a fan that size, unless you had it on your case's window blowing down on everything. :confused: Infact, thats a good idea (starts planning).

lol, you guys are all nuts. nuts! I went the tornado route for a while and I have the second biggest delta 120mm monster as well as a smaller EHE, but when you do a lot on your computer, or sleep in the same room, it's just not possible to deal with! And i have found the benefits aren't worth the bleeding ears ;) But the tornados are well made fans, i'd try that 7V mod all the way.

Back