• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Build Journal]: Noname [56k Beware!]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kayson

I finally got the parts for my brand new rig. It's not the first I've built, but it's the first I've built for myself, so I'm documenting its creation for fun and to have the memories of my first build for myself.

Parts:
Intel Pentium 4 560j (3.6 ghz)
Asus P5AD2-E Premium
Western Digital 74gb Raptor
OCZ 1gb (2x512mb) Dual Channel PC2-5400 Memory
Sapphire ATI Radeon X700 Pro (PCI-E, 128mb)
Thermalright XP-120 + Arctic Silver V
120mm Panaflo fan
OCZ Powerstream 520w
Vantec Nexus Fan Controller (Silver)
Asus QuieTrack 52x CD-ROM (Silver)
Thermaltake Shark (Silver)
Gem 19" LCD Monitor

I decided with a blue/silver color scheme (silver w/ blue leds). Obviously the PSU has to be green, but I can live with it because it is a beautiful psu. I'm still waiting on the 560j; it will be here on monday. I got bored today and I decided to start what I could! I decided to not put anything on the motherboard until the cpu gets here because I'll be taking it out again anyways. I plan to OC and get some benchmarks to compare with the 6xx series.

The wall of boxes! I started stacking up all of the shipments I got until I began to build. It started bugging my mom, so that also inspired me to begin.
buildjournal.gif

The parts in the packages!
buildjournal1.gif

PSU Installed. Boy does it look awesome!
buildjournal2.gif

Back view of PSU
buildjournal3.gif

Raptor mounted in tray
buildjournal4.gif

Raptor installed. It was put there for optimal airflow, and because the lower spots were blocked by the front panel cables
buildjournal5.gif

Beautiful Silver CD-ROM. Very shiny!
buildjournal6.gif

Sliding rails attached to drive
buildjournal7.gif

Drive installed. Looks awesome
buildjournal8.gif

Fan controller installed. The color is different, but oh well.
buildjournal9.gif

Mobo with lga775 retention mech installed.
buildjournal10.gif

Mobo mounted on tray. I had to mod the tray a bit for the mobo to fit....I bent the left lip with pliers :p
buildjournal11.gif

Mobo installed into the case for the time being. Also note the giant mess of cables that will need to be dealt with. Cable management seems to be promising with this case. A quick test showed me that almost all of the cables could be hidden someway or another.
buildjournal12.gif

More pics to come when the processor arrives!

I couldn't think of a name for this rig, so I left it as Noname! I'm not very creative with these kinds of things. I couldn't come up with anything good :(

More pics!

Looks nice, i really like that drives, matches well. And the fan controller, you can't even notice, it looks fine. Oh yeah, more pics :p

Yeah you can close the case door. I was worried about that, but it works perfectly fine. I'll add more pics as soon as the cpu gets here. I might just hook up the power and get a dark shot with all the uv lights on.

560j got here today. I probably won't have time to install it today, but I'll post some pics if I have time.

Yay! 560j, ram, and x700 pro installed and I'm currently installing winxp. Here's some more pics:

560j!
buildjournal19.gif

ram installed
buildjournal18.gif

560j, as5, and xp-120 installed
buildjournal17.gif

panaflo installed
buildjournal16.gif

mobo tray reinstalled
buildjournal15.gif

x700 pro
buildjournal14.gif

x700 pro installed
buildjournal13.gif

Finished product with some degree of cable management!
buildjournal20.gif

I'll get some outside pics in light and dark later tonight or maybe tomorrow. Winxp is installed, time to start installing drivers and setting up the comp!

Oh man, sweet system. Looks nice, just get those wires cleaned up and you will be set :).

1. You got to get a purdier fan for your CPU
2. I hope GEM has cleaned up their act - our company has owned about 8 of their CRT's and they are ALL garbage - i would of choosen a better brand company for an LCD.
3. Why thermaletake!!! :(

Now a name, mmmm

is all silver - silver bullet? :D

Pretty satisfied with the cable management, but then again, I can't figure out what to do with the rest of the cables. Suggestions would be appreciated! I like the cpu fan. It's a perfect combination of powerful and quiet. When it's turned down on my fan controller, it's almost silent and I still get 38-40 idle. The LCD is wonderful. The contrast is amazing. I ran it on my bro's computer in a dual monitor setup for about a month before I built this rig, and it worked flawlessly. I really don't care about the brand of the case. I looked at a bunch of different cases, and I liked how this one looked the best. Not to mention their customer service surpasses all that I have ever encountered. I had to RMA my original case because of a broken front panel, so I wouldn't have been able to turn in the mail in rebat. I called them up and everything got taken care of. I got the check in the mail in about 3 weeks. (Much better than the average 6-8).

I just got my keyboard today, finally!! Stupid FedEX delivered it two houses down. Luckily the guy was kind enough to bring it over for me. I'll post some pics of the final setup either tomorrow or Friday afternoon.

Update!!

Began the overclocking process. I managed to get it up to 265x14 = 3.71 @ 1.388v, then the raptor decided to fail on me! It had been unusually loud, and somehow slow. Hopefully it wasn't anything else that killed it but I just got unlucky. RMAing it back to newegg.

that looks exactly like the case i have. is it a raidmax 668? and nice spec btw, although i would have gotten a 6600gt over the x700, any particular reason you got the x700?

It's a thermaltake shark like it says in my specs. I got the x700 because its cheaper and I like ati.

Sleeve your PSU, then run zip ties. You can hide wires behind your mobo tray. After about an hour or two you get it looking pretty damn clean. If you have the cash and don't want to spend the time doing it yourself, you can use Performence-PCs for their sleeving powers. $50 + Return shipping I believe is the price and that includes labor and materials. You can also have them install removable cables for another $50. Just an idea.

Back