• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

folding without internet

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

covana2244

I am planning to take my computer home over spring break and we don't have interent in the boonies. I was wondering if there anyway I can d/l a weeks worth of wu and then upload the results after I get back to school?

When asked about bigpackets, say yes if you can. Big packets will take longer per unit to work on.

Choose to change advanced options and choose timeless work units, and to minimize networking. It will download 10 units and will only try to connect after completing seven.

you could also try this:

start FAH normally, let it download a work unit
stop FAH
Move your Work Directory, queue.dat and FAHLog to a seperate directory
start FAH again and let it download another workunit

-rinse wash and repeat untill you have enough, then i think you can just substitute work units in as they are completed and make sure to copy out the finished Work Directories, queue.dat and FAHlog files when they finish...

Wow, just read over that, it sounds a bit complicated... so yeah, timeless work units might be the way to go :D

Arent timeless ones small though? I was thinking same as Helys, just take out a WU so fah thinks to needs one and keep doing that. Also some have deadlines so some might not work.

you could download the quad-installer and then that will DL 4 work units and it would fold all on one CPU really slowly but it would work. Also like said above I would turn on timeless units.

The version 5 console let's you choose up to 8 machine ID's so you can set up 8 different instances of the client if needed (not that you'd need that many with BP work though). Just make around 3 or so different folders with the console and when you configure them, just assign different machine ID's to each of them. D/L a BP wu in each right before you leave for home and fold on them while on break. When you get back to having internet access, just start each different client with a -send all shortcut and let the extra clients send in their work without getting a new one and then start the client you normally fold with and let it run as it normally does.

Back