• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Raid Upgrade Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I don't think you'll notice any marked improvement and you probably should risk going with refurbed hds. If you wanted a real improvement, go with something like a raptor or the newer drives with 16mb cache (though that won't help as much as you'd think). Other than that, stick with what you have, its damn decent.

The 16mb Drives Cost Asmuch As 2 Of These Anyway So That Isnt An Option And The Reason I Wanna Upgrade Is Cause These Hds Have Ncq And 8.5ms Seek Also I Am Gonna Be Able To Sell My Old Hdds And Its The Only Thing I Want To Upgrade Atm So Im Just Looking For Some Better Hds (4 Of Em) For About 250$ And Was Wandering If These Are The Best For That Amount

PS. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE TRANSFER OF 4 OF THESE ON RAID 0 WOULD BE

sean478 said:
The 16mb Drives Cost Asmuch As 2 Of These Anyway So That Isnt An Option And The Reason I Wanna Upgrade Is Cause These Hds Have Ncq And 8.5ms Seek Also I Am Gonna Be Able To Sell My Old Hdds And Tis The Only Thing I Want To Upgrade Atm So Im Just Looking For Some Better Hds (4 Of Em) For About 250$ And Was Wandering If These Are The Best For That Amount

16mb isnt helping from what I hear

about ncq, does your board/controller support ncq ? thats the no1 question

IMO refurb and hdds :cry:

D

16mb= good for video+audio compiling.... that's about it. I recommend Diamond Max 9s, they're quick ;) 4 of those aren't going to be much faster then what you already have. Like i said, if you want a noticeable performance gains, you're looking at raptors.

nicspits said:
16mb= good for video+audio compiling.... that's about it. I recommend Diamond Max 9s, they're quick ;) 4 of those aren't going to be much faster then what you already have. Like i said, if you want a noticeable performance gains, you're looking at raptors.
got those but dont want raptors cause they cost to much

ps. if i buy these i can get them for about 100 cause im selling my old ones for 150

also are there any raptors for less than 90$

Last edited:
36gb ones on the forums go for slightly less. again, dont get refurbed hds, he's right about the crying.

It looks like upgrading is out of your price range then, you'd simply be switching brands really. good for warranty and likelihood of failure purposes, not effective for any performance boost. hmmm, one thing you could do is dump a whole lot of money and a hardware raid card, that'll up your overall performance by not using the cpu nearly as much. those things are very expensive though. Try and find some ncq drives that aren't refurbed and still cheap?

you're kind of running out of options, if I were you, I'd just stay with what I have until I could afford raptors cuz there just aren't any feasible steps closer to the top.

sean478 said:
got those but dont want raptors cause they cost to much

ps. if i buy these i can get them for about 100 cause im selling my old ones for 150

also are there any raptors for less than 90$

my honest recommendation is to stay as is, but if you must ...

whats the current situation ? got 3 drives ? you can sell for 150 ?
4 of these seags would be 240 ?
IMO get one 36/74 raptor and a 200gb

D

NCQ does nothing in a single user enviroment. I can't see how 16mb is going to make a huge difference, but it can't be worse than 8mb.

I got some refurb HDDs from Newegg, thinking they were returns, and they were really factory refurbished drives, still with a 5 year warranty. Can't beat that, especially for the price.

{PMS}fishy said:
NCQ does nothing in a single user enviroment. I can't see how 16mb is going to make a huge difference, but it can't be worse than 8mb.

I got some refurb HDDs from Newegg, thinking they were returns, and they were really factory refurbished drives, still with a 5 year warranty. Can't beat that, especially for the price.

OT fishy I see your sig and I have to ask :) how high did those tccd go on the p4c platform ?

Thanks
Dan

i always love it when fishy chymes in, precise, concise, and accurate. gotta love em.

ZL1 said:
OT fishy I see your sig and I have to ask :) how high did those tccd go on the p4c platform ?

Thanks
Dan

280 2.5-3-3-7 2.8v.

I tried more voltage and it just didn't help. I think I actually maxed out the NB, as even running at 5:4 I could not push past 280.

Not bad for PC3200.

so to make my sitiuation clear i have 3 maxtor sata 80gigs w/o ncq and was wandering if i should get 4 of these segate and get 20 percent more performance per drive and have 4 of em for the cost of 90$ or buy a maxtor just like my curent ones for a little more than 1 of thoes segate hds (well from my point of view it looks like the segates) but what choice would u guys choose

Last edited:
{PMS}fishy said:
280 2.5-3-3-7 2.8v.

I tried more voltage and it just didn't help. I think I actually maxed out the NB, as even running at 5:4 I could not push past 280.

Not bad for PC3200.

280 is pretty nice, did you try at looser timings ?
what do you mean 280 at 5:4 ? cpu fsb ? arent you running 300 ?

well for $300 pc3200 is just a name :)

Thanks
Dan

I'd get the raptor and the 200gb drive :) ur not really going to get 20% performance, ur going to get 20% theoretical improvement which is like saying the bumper sticker on my car adds 5 horse power.
well for $300 pc3200 is just a name
lol. That's my advice.

nicspits said:
I'd get the raptor and the 200gb drive :) ur not really going to get 20% performance, ur going to get 20% theoretical improvement which is like saying the bumper sticker on my car adds 5 horse power. lol. That's my advice.

actually that was mine :cool:

sean478 said:
so to make my sitiuation clear i have 2 maxtor sata 80gigs w/o ncq and was wandering if i should get 4 of these segate and get 20 percent more performance per drive and have 4 of em for the cost of 90$ or buy a maxtor just like my curent ones for a little more than 1 of thoes segate hds (well from my point of view it looks like the segates) but what choice would u guys choose

thought you had 3, your sig sure says 3

IMO 20% wont happen

D

nicspits said:
I'd get the raptor and the 200gb drive :) ur not really going to get 20% performance, ur going to get 20% theoretical improvement which is like saying the bumper sticker on my car adds 5 horse power. lol. That's my advice.
the raptor and the 200 gig wat u talking about im looking for a 4x sata raid setup thats all whitch one segate for 90$ or maxtor (slower but less work involved)for 70$ well i guess ive already made my mind up (segates) but thanks for the help and advice guys keep posting ill keep reading

ZL1 said:
thought you had 3, your sig sure says 3

IMO 20% wont happen

D
oops that was a typo i got 3

Back