• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WOW! Never thought it would do this much!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BobbyEwing

Registered
Well, I was getting mighty tired of the sound from my delta, so I started thinking. I already had a 120mm blowing 105 cfm over the cpu mounted in the side of the case. What if I could utilise this airflow to cool the CPU.

I had already tried ducting once, but to no effect. That duct was running from a 92mm in the rear of the case, and expelled the air right above the delta, wich would then suck it down into the SK6. This did not help one bit.

This time, I put some thought into it. I wanted to remove the delta, but had no real option for it in the 60mm department.

I went to the hardware store and bought myself some 127mm ventilation tubing (the flexible kind). I removed the delta and mounted the tube on the 120mm side fan. I shaped the tube so that it would expell the air right into the SK6. With much anticipation I started my comp.

Results:

T-bird 1200@1390 (139x10)

Before, using SK6 with delta
idle 38C
load 45C

Now, using SK6 with a ducted 120mm from room
idle 31C
load 36C(!)

Room temp was about 26C, and the load temps was measured after running Folding@home for 2 hours.

And best of it all: it reduced the noise significantly.

I have a duct w/ 80mm fan and it blows on the 60mm HS fan, should I try running the duct w/o the HS fan? I'm afraid of burning chip...

Nice Job!

Those are some really good Temps for air cooling, specially with the cpu you're running and at the speed you're running it :)

Coolest:
I think that's what he did! he removed the HS Delta and made the air duct from the 120mm go strait go the HS, give it a try ;) Is always good to try other ppls ideas ;)

The Coolest said:
I have a duct w/ 80mm fan and it blows on the 60mm HS fan, should I try running the duct w/o the HS fan? I'm afraid of burning chip...

There's some pretty good evidence that using two fans, one at each end of the duct, will increase the airflow. If you watch the RPMs fo the fans, then you'll see that with an inline set up both fans will operate at higher RPM than theywould in a single fan setup. There's an article somewhere about overclocking fans using this technique.

So, no youdon't have to use two fans, but you'll probably see an increase in airflow if you do. As with all things, try it out and let us know how it works.

nihili

nihili said:

There's some pretty good evidence that using two fans, one at each end of the duct, will increase the airflow. If you watch the RPMs fo the fans, then you'll see that with an inline set up both fans will operate at higher RPM than theywould in a single fan setup. There's an article somewhere about overclocking fans using this technique.

So, no youdon't have to use two fans, but you'll probably see an increase in airflow if you do

Possibly but if the fan on the sink is a delta than removing it completely would bring about a great amount of audio relief against what would be probably a small cooling decrease at most.

Ahh.. I tried with the delta still there at first, but there was no difference from without the duct. I belive that this may be due to the delta actually blocking the airflow from the 120mm. The deltas output is less then half from the 120mm so I belive this must be the case.

Anyways, I felt a bit worried when I powered up the first time without a HSF on, but after seeing the results I am more then happy :)

Yeah, I've wondered about the inline fan thing. I can verify the increase in RPM on my units, but I'm not sure that translates into a significant increase in airflow.

nihili

hrm, what do u guys think i'll get with a 70cfm 120mm...

Last edited:
OK, I'll try it later and see what I get... This isn't a delta fan this fan runs at 4115 RPM default, and with the duct it runs at more than 4800, but I'll check how it'll do w/o the fan at all

have you tried reversing the fan to pull the air from the hsf? i have a similar duct with a 120mm fan and i turned the fan around to see if the temps would drop and sure enough i dropped about 4 degrees. that reminds me i need to change my sig,im running faster and cooler now without the 7500 rpm fan :)

I tried running it just w/ the duct, I had same temps with the fan...
Now I made a new duct and my temps are 3-4C lower with the duct and HSF than just the HSF alone...

Back