• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bent pin nightmare ..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xtreme Barton

ok so i feel like a clown after i hassled my buddy for doing what i just basically did ..

i removed all my pc stuff to send parts in for rma.. when i was removing my xp-120 i un-did the hold down brackets on one side and was trying to wiggle it loose from cpu.. next thing i know BAM !! cpu pulls out of socket and is stuck to my xp-120.. it was really really bad !! took a couple hard twist to get it to remove it self from heatsink..

what the hell am i missing here ?? i used artic silver 5 and only ran about a month with it .. i have never had any issues using this stuff on my socket A ..

did it just reach its point to where it "works the best" and gets real tacky ?? did i use to much ?? or to little ??

i just dont want to have this ever happen again .. i was devistated..

should i blow it with a hair dryer befor eremoving from now on ??

any suggestions would be great .. this just makes me upset. i feel like i didi nothing wrong on how i took it apart but now im doubting myself .. :bang head

wow man that really sux, getting ur CPU ripped outa the socket is a known issue. This really makes me think though, might it be the surface of the XP-120 that isnt smooth enough? Mabe lapping IS a good thing for other than contact?

i dont think lapping would have done any different personally.. but who knows ... i just cant figure out why with care it pulled out so easily.. i wansnt hard on it at all..

my cpu ended up with three rows bent pretty bad.. not that they wont bend back .. but how many times will it last if it happens again ?? i dont want to put my cpu back in and be so scared if i ever take it out again it wont work..

anybody dealt with this before ?? and found a good solution to stop this from happening for sure ??

My solution is to stop pulling the heatsink or CPU. Then it will never happen, guaranteed. If the pins are bent, the likelihood of the CPU getting stuck in the socket is much greater, and if it sticks to the heatsink, it could be BIG trouble. If you absolutely must pull the heatsink, I'm a big fan of the hairdryer trick for removing old heatsinks that are bound with thermal tape. I see no reason that it wouldn't help with your XP-120, although it probably gets hot enough as after use to where the hairdryer wouldn't heat it up much if any.

"My solution is to stop pulling the heatsink or CPU. Then it will never happen, guaranteed "

WTF ?? do you even have a A64 ??? the heatsink attachemnts are different than a Socket A.. i refferd to socket A trying to get at that my cpu has never stuck so bad on the heatsink .. when you unlatch the two hooks on one side and go to unlatch the other side you have to kind of move it a bit to tilt it up and remove the other sides out.. what im talking about is that when i removed the one side i tried t wiggle ssoftly to loosen cpu from heatsink.. well not much at all and it came out of socket.. thats where im confused ..

i was gentle as can be .. and you have to move the heatsink a little to get it off of the board.. it wouldnt let loose of my cpu at all.. so how do i un-do the tackyness of the artic silver 5 ?? so it wont be so stuck together ..

hopefully the above lamen will help.. although my first couple post seemed lamen enough...

Last edited:
douglasb said:
My solution is to stop pulling the heatsink or CPU. Then it will never happen, guaranteed.

so ur saying, never change the HS or CPU ever again? not the greatest solution lol

Don't worry your CPU is fine and this happens often.I'm a technician and it happened a lot
mostly with P4 but with AMD's heatspreader it happens with A64 recently. Just re insert the CPU to the socket (open) and it's fine.Ok? good luck....

I built a rig for my boss, and did the same thing. I don't know how the heatsink managed to be so stuck, but ended up with bent pins! What a shock... Lucky enough I got them sorted out, but for a while I was panicking!

I think if you removed the Hsf right after running the system the heat generated would have made things easier, I have never experienced that before but the heat should break the bond. Just use a credit card to straighten the pins.

-Milkman

The reason the CPU sticks and you might not have experienced this before, is that when you apply the thermal paste and put the heatsink on, as it applies pressure and squishes everything. You remove all air from between there and it sucks them both together as if there was a vacuume between the two.

I even notice this effect slightly with my tiny Thoroughbred cored AMD. This effect is VERY exagerated with a CPU that has a heatspreader as you have probably on the upper hand of 10 times the amount of surface area I have. That acts like a massive greatly improved suction cup. ;)

If at all possible, probably depending on the heatsink, if it is one of those ones with heatpipes and a small base, if you can get the CPU out of the socket first, and then deal with getting it off the heatsink, that would probably be better.

yeah i know what you mean about it sticking, i try tooo give mine a titty twister both ways before i lift up, but gentley, it sticks to my axp all the time, thats when you know you have a good application ;)

Yep. Although even if you have too thick an application this could happen as well.

BTW, I might add that I use the same effect on my video card's ram. I put my nice and thick OCZ Ultra 2 compound on the Vram, then I just squished some staples on, and they stick upside down quite nicely due to the same suction effect that gave Xtreme Barton some bent pins.

well thanks too all who has contributed useful info and ideas.. i appreciate it !!

i should probably post this in intel cpu section beings they have been dealing with this type of heatsink mounting for a while now..

looks like i need to either heat up heatsink and try to remove or to unscrew my mounting plate that the heatsink connects to ans then go from there ..

the cpu is still usable but my biggest fear was to have it happen again and when i go to starighten pins they may break ..they can only bend back and forth so many times ..

im ordering another cpu today and will be selling this one to a friend that will probably never take it out .. hopefully anyways ..

thanks again !!

Hmm... i have never had this happen but on a Ppro with the HUGE heat spreaders...i ran my A64 about 5 days then i took it out and took off the IHS sounds to me like it is the suctin from the AS5 my IHS is off so i hope or rather know that this wont happen...btw hat could a solution to remove your IHS you will get better temps and wont have to worry about the cpu pulling out of the socket when you take of the hs

Xtreme Barton said:
well thanks too all who has contributed useful info and ideas.. i appreciate it !!

i should probably post this in intel cpu section beings they have been dealing with this type of heatsink mounting for a while now..

looks like i need to either heat up heatsink and try to remove or to unscrew my mounting plate that the heatsink connects to ans then go from there ..

the cpu is still usable but my biggest fear was to have it happen again and when i go to starighten pins they may break ..they can only bend back and forth so many times ..

im ordering another cpu today and will be selling this one to a friend that will probably never take it out .. hopefully anyways ..

thanks again !!

Well, whats the worst that could happen if you straighten the pins? If you break a few it couldn't be any worse off than it is now right? Of course I would do it VERY carefully.

I am not sure if heating it up would do anything though. With epoxy's it liquifies the glue, although here it is merely suction with no glue involved. Now of course things expand when you heat them up, so if there is a little wedged in there somewhere it could work a little. Just be careful if you use a hair dryer, because I shot my heatsink up to about 100C while holding it in my hand in a few seconds with a heatsink.

That is very thoughtful posting for the Intel guys too. :thup: Some really die hard AMD fans would be like "LET EM BURN!!!!!!! :mad: "

The smoother you have the surfaces and the thinner the amount of paste you put on it the WORSE it gets. Essentially there is no easy way. Some guys say slide a credit card under there but ive never seen how that would be possible, it sure isnt on mine. If you have it on thin enoungh sometimes you can twist the heatsink around alot and it will start to make streaks which leave room for air and eventually it gets looser. That only works when its cold though. Opposite of the heating technique.

Xtreme Barton, I feel your pain.

This happened to me the other day with my 3200+/XP-90 rig. As I was removing the xp-90 from the bracket (carefully as I always am) the cpu came right out of the socket. My eyes got as big as quarters!! Now, my xp-90 is not lapped and I use a fairly thin layer of AS5 - so I was very surprised that this happend. As many time as I have removed my xp-120 from my 3500 and my xp-90 from the 3200 this has never happened.

It turns out that about half of one row of pins were slightly bent. I used a credit card and straightened the row of bent pins, stuck it back in the socket and away it went - no problems. I think from now on I might try unlatching the cpu BEFORE unhooking the hs - esp with my 3500.

this is perfectly normal, it happens with all cpus that have integrated heatspreaders. two things i try and do to mimize it. 1) twist the heatsink as much as possible before pulling it out 2) pull it straight out to avoid bending pins.

i've pulled out many cpus and bent back many pins without issue.

Back