• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Comments/Opinions on Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KEVINWASH1

Registered
Ok, I'm hoping to build a computer this summer, so this is all 2-3 months away...But looking to do some preliminary specing/pricing now (I have a feeling prices wont go down much for this stuff, but it'd be nice if it did). Now, it would've been REALLY nice if I could get 2 1GB sticks of Corsair RAM instead of 2 512MB sticks, but I think that'll cost me too much, especially for the benefit that it'd provide...I'd also like to get two 250GB drives instead, but we'll see...

Corsair Value Select (Dual Pack) 184 Pin 512MBx2 DDR PC-3200 - OEM
$103.67
ASUS "A8N-SLI Deluxe" nForce4 SLI Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket 939 CPU -RETAIL
$199.00
NEC 16X Double Layer DVD±RW Drive, Black, Model ND-3520A BK, OEM
$56.00
Lian Li Silver ATX Mid-Tower Case, Model "PC-60" -RETAIL
$92.00
Chaintech nVIDIA GeForce 6600GT Video Card, 128MB DDR3, 128-Bit, TV-Out/DVI, PCI-Express, Model "SE6600G" -RETAIL
$188.00
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Value Sound Card, Model "SB0400" -OEM
$49.99
AMD Athlon 64 3400+, 512k L2 Cache, The Only 64-bit Windows Compatible Processor 2.4GHz - Retail
$219.00
Aspire Turbo Case Series 500W 12V Silver Aluminum Power Supply, Model "ATX-AS500-SV 12V" -RETAIL
$56.60
Western Digital 250GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model WD2500JD, OEM Drive Only
$137.00
Alps Beige 3.5inch Floppy Disk Drive, Model DF354H068F, OEM
$8.00
ARCTIC-COOLING Freezer 64 CPU Cooler For Socket 754/939/940, Model "ACFZ64" -RETAIL
$37.99
CoolerMaster Blue 80mm Neon LED Fan, Model "TLF-R82" -RETAIL
$7.99 (two of these)
Arctic Silver Premium Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound, Model "Arctic Silver 5", 3.5-gram( 1 cc. ) tube
$7.99

Now, another video card I was considering was the Sapphire ATI Radeon X800 XL Video Card at $359, but decided to see about downgrading a bit maybe (since it doesn't seem like too big a downgrade, and it'll save a good bit of money). So, opinions, comments? It would be really nice if I could keep it right around $1000, but i'm not incredibly dead set on that necessarily.

Hi,

Let me recommend a few changes:-
1.If you plan to OC, value RAM isn't the best. I would get TCCD RAM like the GSkill LE.
2.I would recommend waiting for the new Rev E Venice cores to come out. Don't get the 3400 yet.
3.Lose the PSU. Go with the Fortron Blue Storm series.
4.I would prefer the Thermalright XP-120 for a heatsink.

You could cut back on the Case and the HDD. I would get an 80Gb WD, Segate or Hitachi SATA instead. You can wait for the price on the x800xl to drop a bit. I think ATI are positioning this to be their value card. So prices will drop. Since your purchase is a few months away, I have not quoted any prices on the items I've recommended.

Hope this helps!

S.N

only thing i see that is completely wrong is the 3400+ with everything you have there you are going to need a skt 939 3500 or bump it down to a skt 939 3200

also you won't be getting this for a few months as you've said so i suggest floating aroung the forums to find out the good info on the new cores

Thanks for the input so far.
Well, about the RAM...i assume you mean the PC4400 RAM from G.Skill, and other RAM rated that speed? I'm not sure i'd want to go that far, since that's adding significantly to the price, over $100 or so....And i'd like to reduce prices if possible, though it is something i'll consider. If it was just regular PC3200 RAM from G.Skill you meant, i could swing that no problem, it's about the same price.
I will wait to see about the new core too...To be honest, I still have to do more research on them, as I'm really at a loss for telling all the differences between all the cores so far :)
For the PSU and heat sink, are the differences going to be that signficant? For instance, does the PSU have any major advantages to warrant the $30 higher price? Just thought i'd check and ask about them.
And the hard drive i absolutely will not go to 80GB, just because I know it wont be enough. My current 80GB hard drive is almost filled, so 250GB SHOULD give me plenty of room, plus it seems the best in terms of $/GB ratio...Note i also thought this 80GB would give me more than enough room also :)
I will keep an eye out on the x800XL, if it does drop in price that'd be great. Anyways, thanks a lot for the help thus far, looking forward to more comments anyone has :)

KEVINWASH1 said:
Thanks for the input so far.
Well, about the RAM...i assume you mean the PC4400 RAM from G.Skill, and other RAM rated that speed? I'm not sure i'd want to go that far, since that's adding significantly to the price, over $100 or so....And i'd like to reduce prices if possible, though it is something i'll consider. If it was just regular PC3200 RAM from G.Skill you meant, i could swing that no problem, it's about the same price.
I will wait to see about the new core too...To be honest, I still have to do more research on them, as I'm really at a loss for telling all the differences between all the cores so far :)
For the PSU and heat sink, are the differences going to be that signficant? For instance, does the PSU have any major advantages to warrant the $30 higher price? Just thought i'd check and ask about them.
And the hard drive i absolutely will not go to 80GB, just because I know it wont be enough. My current 80GB hard drive is almost filled, so 250GB SHOULD give me plenty of room, plus it seems the best in terms of $/GB ratio...Note i also thought this 80GB would give me more than enough room also :)
I will keep an eye out on the x800XL, if it does drop in price that'd be great. Anyways, thanks a lot for the help thus far, looking forward to more comments anyone has :)

If you would like regular PC3200 ram, get the PQI Turbo's or Corsair's TCCD line.If I assume you may volt modding or using a DDR Booster, get the OCZ VX series or take a risk with OCZ value RAM. Some OCZ Value modules are reported to perform on par with BH-5!

Do not compromise on the PSU!! Spend that extra $30 on a good PSU.
If you are getting a DVD RW, why do you need a monster HDD? :)

Also, a good HSF would do wonders if you plan on OC'ing.

Cost cutting can be achieved in these areas:-
Case, HDD, Optical Drive.

Hope this helps!

S.N

Edit*
Info about cores can be found in this excellent thread:-
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=295328

Eh, no, I think i'll be staying away from any mods, at least for now. I'll probably try out some overclocking, but that's about as far as I'll go. This is the first rig I will have built, and haven't done any overclocking yet, so I think I should just keep things at that, for now at least. I've just been reluctant to get the TCCD because of how much of a price jump it is.

I see what you mean about the PSU and heatsink. I think I will try to see if I can costs maybe with my case and possibly hard drive, though i'm reluctant to reduce hard drive side (at least by much). And the DVD-RW will probably serve mostly for backups than anything else, though I may end up storing things on just DVDs instead of my hard drive.

Last edited:
sorry about that i had no clue at all normally the egg has em all and thats where i scanned for my info. :bang head

No worries mate!

The 3400 is an oddball CPU. It completely threw me off at first. Castrating it to 800MHz HTF diffrentiates it from the 3500+. Totally unnecessary IMO.

Back