• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seti Classic --- The End is Near

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ewl2

I just saw this announcement on the Seti Boinc site

Seti Boinc Main Site

the announcment is about syncing classic and BOINC accounts and gives a link to their transition plan. The big news is that they think they will shut down classic in about a month. Now nowing Berkeley this means 2 months at least, But the end is near

Time to start crunching BOINC everyone :p

*Slips on billboard sign and takes to the streets... shouting "THE END IS NEAR"

"redeem yourselves and start boincing now"

:D

ewl2 said:
Nice one Ozzlo :)

landshark - after classic is over, your not switching ??
I honestly still not quite sure.... 'cos some of my cruncher is in a farm that only has 1 machine w/ dial up connection. I've been simply double click the SETDriver from the other machine over the LAN and up/down'load WUs. with BONIC, I'm not sure if it'll work anymore.....

also, I'm (and might) looking at Folding@Home since my dad pass away late last year from cancer and a friend of mine and my cousin is having cancer too.... (yeah, it sux!) so, I might contribute to Folding@Home after SETIClassic finally ended just hoping I could help to find the cure for it one day or will helps others in the future....

I'm really not sure as of now..... SETI had and has being w/ the since it started and it's been a part of my regular life to check on the stats and crunchers. but recent real life encounter is making me thinking to Fold right now....

(plus it's much easier to install FAH w/ their OneClick installation and set as service and hide it. even tho I have full control and allowance of my work machines, I would like to hide the client from my employees so they won't mess with it you know... and I can't/haven't find a way to hide the client in BONIC yet....)

My condolences on your Dad and My prayers go out to your cousin and friend. If you choose to fold good luck in your endeavers. FYI, another BOINC project Predicter at home, i believe deals with protiens, but i don't know much about it...

for the tech reasons, i have good news.....

boinc can work through a proxy, so if you set up a free proxy server on the machine with internet access, all your machines can get work.

BOINC version 4.25 can install as a service (not quite 1 click, but not too bad). so the users will never know its there :) plus if u use an add-on program like BOINCView you can monitor all those machines from one console, including management functions (boinc uses an RPC API)

either way you decide thanks for your massive contributions and good luck

My condolences as well.

Information on the Predictor project for BOINC can be found here
http://predictor.scripps.edu/

At time of posting their site is down for a planned revamping of their website.

Whatever your future may hold, good luck, your contributions have been much appreciated.

I haven't had a unit to crunch since friday =( Got to 6736 in my time though =) Guess It's ab00t time to switch to this doink thing.

LandShark said:
I honestly still not quite sure.... 'cos some of my cruncher is in a farm that only has 1 machine w/ dial up connection. I've been simply double click the SETDriver from the other machine over the LAN and up/down'load WUs. with BONIC, I'm not sure if it'll work anymore.....

I got an IDEA...

buy a 32mb thumbdrive for each computer and then get a nice usb hub... simply install boinc onto each thumbdrive and plug each thumbdrive into the USB HUB... open each boinc client and have each dl new workunits then distribute the thumbdrives to each of your computers and run boinc on each... violla... of course the more computers you have the more complicated this will be.... You could also try mapping network drives and running all the boinc clients over the network so that way they are all on a single computer and you just run and update em about every 6 days...

32mb would be enougf for seti and another project...(except for climate)

All I have to say is I cant wait till all of your guys switch over to BOINC (SETI or what ever it might be). We will really start to move up in ranks!! :welcome: :)

ozzlo said:
I got an IDEA...

buy a 32mb thumbdrive for each computer and then get a nice usb hub... simply install boinc onto each thumbdrive and plug each thumbdrive into the USB HUB... open each boinc client and have each dl new workunits then distribute the thumbdrives to each of your computers and run boinc on each... violla... of course the more computers you have the more complicated this will be.... You could also try mapping network drives and running all the boinc clients over the network so that way they are all on a single computer and you just run and update em about every 6 days...

32mb would be enougf for seti and another project...(except for climate)
I've thought of the thumb drive route. it's ok with me since I already have a 512mb drive. but the question is, since BOINC seems so local machine based (have to install, not just click and run like the old days. and benchmark each of it's own machine & use it as gauge for queue and so on), I'm not use if I can just copy the whole folder and move to the net connection machine to up/download. or I could simply click on BOINC exe over LAN from the net connected machine and run from it like I've been doing w/ Driver.

as for mapping network drive, can I do that? so I install BOINC from local machine onto a mapped network drive instead of it's own local drive and run from there? then how do I up/download WUs? shut down the non-net connection's BOINC first, then open it from the net connected one and go from there...? and will it slow down the progress since it's over the LAN?

if I can solve these problem, I might be move onto BOINC then..... :rolleyes:

Sorry to repeat my self guys...

Put a free proxy server on your machine with the internet connection. you can then route all of your clients through it. BOINC has an auto re-try feature, so when you connect to the internet all your clients should automaticly connect and get WUs.

Plus, if you use a program called "BOINCVIEW" you can control all the clients from one console, So when u turn on your dial-up, you can easily tell all the clients to resume network activity and upload/download

Plus, if you use a program called "BOINCVIEW" you can control all the clients from one console, So when u turn on your dial-up, you can easily tell all the clients to resume network activity and upload/download

hmm....now that sounds pretty good.... "tell all client to resume network activity" manually from the server.....

Back