• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How often do you finish a work unit?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gigahertz

I need 3 days to finish one on a 2.8 Ghz

I am either getting REALLY BIG packets or something is wrong . Friends with 1.6 and 2.0ghz machines finish a packet in around 1 day so I dont know..

~$ tail unitinfo.txt
Current Work Unit
-----------------
Name: p1136_p1130_L939_K12M_355K
Download time: March 18 17:00:21
Due time: May 25 17:00:21
Progress: 87% [||||||||__]

That same Wu take's my a64 rig about 27 hour's to complete if that help's.

That's a 241 point "tinker" unit, you often get them for a first unit or when Gromacs units have run out, they favour architectural efficiency and don't use SSE or SSE2, so they are comparitively slower on P4s than they are on Athlons. Probably an XP at around 1600Mhz would be doing that same unit as fast. When that one finishes, it should pick up a gromacs unit, which will show you better points per day.

RoadWarrior said:
That's a 241 point "tinker" unit, you often get them for a first unit or when Gromacs units have run out, they favour architectural efficiency and don't use SSE or SSE2, so they are comparitively slower on P4s than they are on Athlons. Probably an XP at around 1600Mhz would be doing that same unit as fast. When that one finishes, it should pick up a gromacs unit, which will show you better points per day.

But I think that might have helped answer your question alot better.

:welcome:

Are you folding one instance or two? A P4C 2.8 should fold one instance of p1136 in 36 hours. If you're folding two instances, the p1136 should take about 64 hours.

BTW current bigpacket WUs are:
p13xx
p147x
p19xx

p1140 and p1141 will be rereleased soon.

Last edited:
my rig (when it doesn't EE) chews through a BP in about 36-48 hours(it takes longer when my wife is playing Sims 2 University for 8 hours at a time).... it chews through the 241 pointers in about 24 - 36 hours.... and everything else.... it chews through in 12-18 hours or less.

Last edited:
Damn it takes me 50 hours plus to finish a big packet! I don't even wanna know how long it would take my 1.5ghz Sempron. No big packets and no adv method for that cpu.

It took me about a week to finish a bp on my Sempron @ 1.8GHz. Except, of course, it got to 99% and then reached simulation instability, submitted the results, and then got zero points out of it. When I did the bp, my comp wasn't running 24/7 (off overnight) and I restarted it a lot.
I can do a 241 pt Tinker in about 2 days with the Sempron.

electrorcamd said:
It took me about a week to finish a bp on my Sempron @ 1.8GHz. Except, of course, it got to 99% and then reached simulation instability, submitted the results, and then got zero points out of it. When I did the bp, my comp wasn't running 24/7 (off overnight) and I restarted it a lot.
I can do a 241 pt Tinker in about 2 days with the Sempron.

Either I get a XP mobile or I have to really overclock the Sempron then.

Hi, my name is Sam, and I'm a folding addict

*sniffel* It's been 1 hour since I turned in my last work unit. *sniffel*

-Sam

LOL. Mine started on a Tinker at noon yesterday.... if my wife wouldn't have turned it off last night.... it woulda already been turned in.... its got a couple of hours to go before its done.

***edit*** as for the sempron.... my wife has a sempron 2200+ with 768MBs of RAM.... it chewed through a BP in 50-some odd hours.....

TollhouseFrank said:
***edit*** as for the sempron.... my wife has a sempron 2200+ with 768MBs of RAM.... it chewed through a BP in 50-some odd hours.....
I guess I won't have to worry about the fact that I turned them back on for whenever they are rereleased then. My server (see sig) is currently folding a 241 pt Tinker and takes about 2 hours per frame.

TollhouseFrank said:
as for the sempron.... my wife has a sempron 2200+ with 768MBs of RAM.... it chewed through a BP in 50-some odd hours.....

That's impossible if it's at stock speed.Are you sure you are correct on that?

Back