• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anybody know anything about the Black Fortron 460w?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The Unforgiven

Newegg, and everywhere else I have looked is still out of stock of the Fortron Blue Storm AX500-A. So I was looking for something similar, without paying too much more. Is the Fortron FSP460-60PFN-S a good substitute? If not, any suggestions on what I should get? The Blue Storm 400w?

The system that this will be used with is:

Abit AS8 865PE LGA775 Motherboard
Intel LGA 775 Pentium 4 640
Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro AGP
2 Hard drives
2 Optical drives
4 80mm case fans (the stock Lian Li PC60 fans)

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Not only a good substitute, I believe the AX500-A may be based on this model. This is an older EPS server unit though... the fan won't be as quiet as the AX500-A. Ouput specs are close to being identical - they are both 460w units.

This model also has active PFC compared to passive on the Blue Storm. It will run the system you mention with no problem at all.

Good deal. One other thing, is there anything that I should get with it to make it work with my ATX board? Adapters, or anything? I just want to make sure that it will work, because the box says ATX/EPS, and FSP's site says that it is an EPS PSU.

The pics at Newegg are leading me to believe it already comes with the adaptors.

Look on the box at Newegg and it says the 460 is an EPS server PSU. Can I still use this? It has the same dimensions as an ATX PSU. And the box says it has LGA775 Compatability. I like that PSU, I just don't want to make a $98 mistake.

If you make a mistake it won't be near $98. You could return it and take the 15% restocking fee, or exchange it without a fee AFAIK. From the pics it looks like it comes with a 24 pin to 20 pin adaptor, and the 8 to 4 pin adaptor which are all you will need. So no worries.

ZachM said:
If you make a mistake it won't be near $98. You could return it and take the 15% restocking fee, or exchange it without a fee AFAIK. From the pics it looks like it comes with a 24 pin to 20 pin adaptor, and the 8 to 4 pin adaptor which are all you will need. So no worries.

So I guess it's really an EPS with ATX adapters? If that's the case then I think it'll be good, because I would guess server PSU's are rather durable and stable.

Well I'm going to buy that baby then, and all of my other components, and should be having them in a week or a bit more... I have to pay by check so it takes a few extra days. :(

Back