• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"Fast" memory in a Dell???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

David_L6

Registered
What speed will low latency (such as OCZ's 3-3-3-8) DDR2 533MHz memory run in a Dell computer? I think the latency on the memory that Dell installs (and most other DDR2 memory as well) is something like 4-4-4-12.

It should run at its stock auto speeds. With a Dell bios you won't be able to adjust the timings on it, pretty much what the memory factory makes the chips at is what it'll run at.

Have you peaked inside your Dell's BIOS?

Tell us if you see any memory timing settings in there. :)

-Sam

samuraisam said:
Have you peaked inside your Dell's BIOS?

Tell us if you see any memory timing settings in there. :)

-Sam

Don't know how.....
I'm not sure that I could even if I knew how. I think Dell has everything locked.

It will take the settings which the motherboard is set to, which is the slower setting used by the Dell RAM that's already in your computer. Essentially, you'd have to get in the BIOS and change the timings to take advantage of faster RAM. This is why no one here buys pre-built computers like Dell.

Vertical_Zer0 said:
It will take the settings which the motherboard is set to, which is the slower setting used by the Dell RAM that's already in your computer. Essentially, you'd have to get in the BIOS and change the timings to take advantage of faster RAM.

What if there isn't any RAM already in the computer? Does the motherboard already have "settings" that would slow down faster RAM?

Back