• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NexStar External Enclosure = Junk, better brand!??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HeadRusch

Seems to me that all of these $30 and $40 external USB enclosures that work with 3.5" drives always turn out to be junk.

I purchased the reputable NexStar by Vantec many months ago. A 7200rpm drive would error out almost immediately, and the 5200 rpm 120gig I have in there now does the "Clock Ticking" problem either after an extended period of use, OR sometimes just at bootup when the drive spins up after turning it on.
Either way its UNreliable.....and that makes it useless unless you're turning it on, throwing a few files on there, and turning it off.

Streaming MP3's or Videos from it often times results in a lockup, but its hard to predict. Yes, I've run this with the flimsy plastic covers off....no real difference. The drive is fine (works great when used internally), it has to be a flaky enclosure.

I am convinced this is a power problem...that the enclosure can't get enough power to the drive and its resetting itself or whatever. Problem is, Vantec's tech support has already blown me off, they're no help.

Is there a known "this thing works great!" External hard drive enclosure out there that runs with USB 2.0 that HASNT given people a problem???

I just bought a BYTECC enclosure and a 200 gig, 8 MB cache, 7200 rpm Maxtor aqbout three weeks ago. So far it is working fine but its too new to give a report on reliability.

Back