• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 3.0E D0 or 3.0C D1 30 cap

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fabulouscoops

I use a socket 478 P4 3.0 30 cap northwood with D1 stepping in my main rig which is overclocked (highest OC is in sig not the everyday OC of 3.4 GHz @ 1:1)
In my work machine I had a 3.0 Prescott with C0 stepping which did not OC as well as the northwood (but it was close) so I have it in an Intel board and do not overclock it. Recently, I came in posession of a newer D0 stepping prescott and swapped it with my C0. The question is, what do you think the overclockability of the new Prescott will be compared to my 3.0C? Should I swap out the Northwood or is it still the better choice due to cooler temps?

The Prescott will overclock higher and at speeds above 3.6-3.7GHz will be faster than the Northwood, but s478 motherboards really aren't built to handle the power requirements of an overclocked Prescott and you risk burning up your motherboard without some serious mods to it. If you don't want to scrap your motherboard, I'd say stay with the Northwood unless you feel comfortable modding your motherboard and even then, there's no guarantee it will hold up overclocking.

I would keep the Northwood in the Intel board as Northwoods do have a propensity to not maintain more extreme overclocks for long periods of time. There is a sticky regarding this effect for your perusal.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=115166

Is your sig main motherboard the system it will be installed into? The Abit IC7g-MaxII? If I had such a system, I would install the Prescott for testing purposes (and the fun of it) as you never know just how good a proc will be until you run it through it's paces.
By your sig I can see that you are knowledgeable with regards to overclocking so I will not go into procedural methodology. Suffice it to say, you might have a real terror chip or you may have an average one but you will never know until tested.

R

ropey: I don't think I am a candidate for SNDS. I keep my core voltage at 1.6v. I will probably give the DO prescott a shot and hope the Zalman can keep it cool. Days are getting warmer here though so I better do it quickly.

Blkout: I am not going to get into volt mods on this board. That is one reason I have not opted for better RAM. VDimm = 2.8 volts is all I can get up to.

Thanks for your input guys.

Back