• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My computer won't start :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BeanTownBrawler

My computer keeps restarting on its own

Ok well, it will start, but it keeps rebooting during the windows loading screen. Then it gives me the "windows did not start properly, do u want safe mod, normal mode etc startup?" msg and I choose one, but then it just reboots again. I have had no problems lately, I dont know whats causing this. Any ideas? I'm thinking some hardware might have failed or a connection might be loose, but I dont know where to look. Specs below

Last edited:
Some files on your hard drive may be corrupted or a program ruined your config files. You can either run system restore from the install CD or just reinstall the OS over the top of itself to replace the damaged files. Either one will not specifically require you to lose any data.

BeanTownBrawler said:
Are those the only possibilities?
Your machine isn't resetting itself, your messed-up operating system is resetting your computer when it's failing to load properly. I've had this happen before and all you have to do is repair or reinstall the OS.

i used the win xp cd and went into the recovery console and typed "fixboot". it said it fixed it, but then when i rebooted i had the same problem. i read on a website that i have to first copy over 2 files, but when i try to do that it says access denied.

EDIT: I FIXED IT WOOT. Went into the recovery console and typed "FIXMBR" and that did it! :cool:

Last edited:
Back