• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hmmm... celeron 900 worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jobo

Registered
guys,

i'm buying a celeron 900, my current p3 is 450@600.. i wanna know if this celeron can outperform my current chip.. thanks.

btw, this p3 got 3122 points on 3dmarks2000, while my friends p4 1500 got 3215 points, i wonder why.. ahehehehe.. do you think that celly 900 can make it up higher than my friends p4?

thanks,
jobo

The Celeron 900 will smoke a P3-450 cuz it's a newer (coppermine) core and has full-speed cache. I read a review where they replaced a P3-450 with a (lame 66FSB) Celeron 700 and even this small step gave applications like Photoshop 'wings'. The difference you see in 3DMarks lies solely in the AGP cards used in those systems. You must have a much better 3D card than the P4 system has, which is a shame unless it's only used for office stuff. The Celeron 900 might come close (especially when OCed) to the P4 in some applications just cuz the current software isn't optimized for P4 yet.

lancelot,

we have same video card which is gf2 mx

im really glad about the marks i got with my p3.. but im ready for a celly/duron battle... ahehehe

thanks,
jobo

If you both have the same vidcard then there's another problem. What about drivers? You should install the same (reference?) drivers on both systems. Is the screen resolution the same?(!) Is the AGP-speed the same, like 2x or 4xAGP, and is the AGP aperture set in your BIOS the same?! I'm sure you'll find totally different setting on all this on these systems...

jobo said:
guys,

i'm buying a celeron 900, my current p3 is 450@600.. i wanna know if this celeron can outperform my current chip.. thanks.

btw, this p3 got 3122 points on 3dmarks2000, while my friends p4 1500 got 3215 points, i wonder why.. ahehehehe.. do you think that celly 900 can make it up higher than my friends p4?

thanks,
jobo
you sure he wasnt talking about 3dmrk 20001 ...with the same vid card that is really weird.....

lancelot,

we have same resolution, same settings on bios.. although he's got 4x agp size while my via chipset supports 2x, and in fact, he's got 256mb while i only got 192 mb.. we got the same detonator 4 drivers. maybe im just lucky

but guys,

jobo

lancelot,

we have same resolution, same settings on bios.. although he's got 4x agp size while my via chipset supports 2x, and in fact, he's got 256mb while i only got 192 mb.. we got the same detonator 4 drivers. maybe im just lucky

but guys,

my question is, is it worth upgrading to celly 900?

jobo

Oh and to answer your question.

The 900 is going to be faster, especially if you bring it up to a 133FSB. It'll be alot faster.

It all depends on what you do with your computer. If what you do now isnt as fast as you would like it, then upgrade.
Good luck!

thanks,

as far i as i thought, im just lucky.. dont complain! ahehehe

btw, what is the p4 1500's multiplier settings?

jobo

Back