• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

building a cheap comp for someone >$300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ryufreak

Any ideas? It's not going to be used for gaming, just internet browsing and office work. Need everything excludign HD/cd/floppy. If I don't use all the 300$, I can keep the leftovers (saving for a X800XL). Since he doesn't use the comp that much, I was thinking this:
Sempron 2600+ 754 75$
Biostar "K8VGAM" VIA K8M800 63$ (has onboard vid)
Cheapo 512ram 35$
This case: 55$(FREE SHIPPING!!)
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-144-026&depa=1
=228$ give or take shipping

Any ideas, thoughts? Hes upgrading from a Pentium 266MHZ, so this is gonna be a big change. If you think I can go any cheaper, give some input!! Advice would be greatly appreciated

EDIT
On a morals subject, I have an old P4 1.4GHZ comp w/ a GF2 GTS laying around that I'm not using. If you were me, would you give him that, and keep the 300$??

i dont think he needs a case that great. if its just for surfing and office work check out like a 2300+ sempron for socket a. if you can find a super cheap grahics card, like 20 bucks or less, i have a great mobo for 754, the kv8-pro, that will pair make that sempron fly, that ill sell for 50 bucks. pm me about it

shellshock said:
you dont need that case, its a bot too flashy for a $300 computer

the thing about the case is that i want at least a decent cooling system + psu, as i wanna or at least thinking about o/c it to 2ghz on stock volts, but if you can find a cheap case w/ a good psu, that'd be cool too

You can buy a psu sperate from the case you know.

I recommend a Fortron or a OCZ or an ANTEC psu. As for a case, its up to you, check back and tell us.

Might want to consider 1GB of ram and a Sempron 2800+ for future proofing, and I like that case, looks modern and cool. For such a system with integrated video the included psu should do ok.

First, scrap that case, and if you have a local Fry's or other large electronics store where you can find a decent case for under $20 (after rebate or otherwise), go for that. If not, you can find some pretty cheap ones if you look around. Shipping will be the main thing that kills you for a case if bought online. For the power supply, go to svc.com and check out their refurbished Sparkle PSU's. I think the 350w is like $12 + shipping, and it will be better than any generic 400w out there, and probably better than any generic PSU, period. If you are on a budget, an OCZ PSU is out of the question, and an Antec case/PSU most likely is as well.

Assuming your friend is just using the computer for work/web browsing, the following setup should be sufficient. I see no reason to go for a s754 Sempron really. Also, the P4 setup may work for him, but it depends if he is expecting a new system or a used one. If you want to give him components from that system (such as video card) you could save a little money. I know Newegg has a refurb. socket A board with everything except onboard video for like $20 shipped. Just something to think about, if it will be acceptable for him.

For the CPU, you can get a 1.8 GHz Duron for $38 + shipping here.

For the motherboard, if you can go with a Newegg refurb, this is a decent Socket A board with onboard sound/video/LAN for $30 shipped. They also have 3 other Socket A boards with onboard video for under $35 shipped if you don't like that one. If a refurb won't do, this one fits the bill (onboard sound, video, LAN) and is $48 + shipping.

Rosewill PC3200 512 MB for $37 shipped.

So for an estimate, this would be:

$40 case + Sparkle 350 PSU
$43 Duron 1.8 GHz
$30 Newegg Refurb. Motherboard with onboard Sound/Video/LAN
$37 PC3200 RAM 512 MB
----
$150 give or take a few bucks for shipping...x800, here you come! :santa:

I just got this in my mailbox, if you want to take a chance on some better RAM. Samsung PC3200 512 MB $43 shipped. You may luck out and get some decent chips (I'm thinking TCCC maybe, TCCD is probably out of the question).

EDIT: It's a 48-hour sale, so it should end in about 2 days from now.

LOL I'd have enough $ to get my x800xl! But should i be feeling bad that i'm taking 150 dollars for this small of a build? One side of me is saying buy it, and one side of me is saying DIRTY MAN!~ :bang head :bang head
I'm goign to have to think about this lol

are you installing the o/s too? if so, 150 assembled with o/s loaded is a very reasonable surcharge.

yeah, i went ahead a built him a duron 1.8, all costed about 170 total. I had a win2k retail that i bought a while back and never used. I got a x800xl for 300 dollars thats shipping this week wooOo

ryufreak said:
yeah, i went ahead a built him a duron 1.8, all costed about 170 total. I had a win2k retail that i bought a while back and never used. I got a x800xl for 300 dollars thats shipping this week wooOo

:attn: Sweet. Now how about a little gratitude and sending that x800XL over here? And a PCI-express mobo while you're at it.

Back