• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building a new rig for family... need some input

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eskimochaos

Ok guys I am building a computer for my dad, mom and family because they cant use mine :santa: . Here is my list of what I have. They want me to build it and dont wanna buy from dell or other manufacturer. My budget is around 800 dollars w/ tax and shipping and this system fits the bill... Let me know what you think as far as compatibility, and other recomendations would be helpful.
CD/ROM... NEC IDE dvd burner/ cd burner OEM 39.98
Case...Antec Solution SLK1650B w/ 350watt power supple...61.99 ( will this be enough :shrug: )
Monitor... HP 19" LCD...245 after 50$ mail in rebate
MOBO... need some recomendations... MSI K8M800 socket 754...55.95 (built in video)
RAM...Corsair value 2x512mb...75.00
CPU... AMD athon 3000 newcastle socket 754...140.00
HD... Western digital caviar sata 150 80gb...55.00
TOTAL.........................800.82 with shipping and tax

Any recomendations on the motherboard and the case/ power supply ( is 350w enough) would be greatly appreciated. MOBO because I need one with onboard video.

This NEEDS to be very reliable because when I go t college I cant come home every weekend fixing it.

LESS than or equal to 800 dollars with tax and shipping all from the EGG

Thanks

OH yea dont worry about XP have that and I have keyboard and mouse. Links would be greatly appreciated. Early Thanks

One more thing anyway I can build a rig that is socket 939 w/mother board w/ integrated video and not go above 850 thanks.

Yeah, I'd say nForce4 mobos should have better onboard video.

For a family computer, 1GB of ram and a SATA HDD should do fine, and most things over 2ghz for CPU is great. Just switch over to a skt939 board with a 3200+ and it might even be overkill for them.

The PSU is fine, you could've gotten a cheap $30 case with a $50 Forton PSU to be more reliable, but doesn't quite matter.

OK guys sorry new plan. Builiding an internet PC for email and need to spend under 400 dollars shipped. Was thinkin of Sempron and I need a recomendation for MOBO. Thanks, sorry for the change of plans. NO DELL again.

Back