• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a Desktop for iRacing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

spitracer

Wow back in High School I was one of the first kids to have a PC! MAN how things have changed. I have spent several days now pouring over all the different PSU, Motherboards, CPU, Video Cards, etc. trying to figure out what I need.....

I have no clue! Well I have a clue, but as usual I built this massive PC that NASA probably would use and I know I don't need it.

My budget is around $500-$750 for the tower and not the monitors, etc. I really want to be able to handle iRacing which I understand isn't a massive drain on the PC but as I also want to be able to edit my GoPro video from when I do actually race. I would also like to be able to go to 3 monitors but I doubt that will happen for a while.

A local guy has the following new unit for sale and sounds like he could swap out components if they weren't up to snuff. He's talking $520 for the following specs which seems OK.

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX

Team Vulcan 4GB (1 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory

GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-USB3 AM3+ AMD 760G HDMI USB 3.0 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

HIS H577FK1GD Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI

Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity

500GB Seagate Barracuda SATA II, 3.5" Hard Drive

ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X

DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM

Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM

OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandybridge Core i3 i5 i7 Intel 4th Gen CPU Haswell and AMD Phenom

Logisys 12" Dual Cold Cathode Kit, 3.0mm Tube Diameter, 680V Output Voltage, Green

COOLER MASTER Elite 430 RC-430-KWN1 Black Steel / Plastic Computer Case

Operation System: Microsoft Windows 8 Pro - Pre-Installed Only

Any suggestions would be much appreciated and keep in mind I'm really green on this so use small words!

I'm in Southern Michigan and would also entertain being contacted by a local builder or someone that has a good rig to sell as well.

Get some newer equipment. The one you listed isn't worth the money IMO.

FX-6300 with a good motherboard will do perfect.
Get 2x4GB 1600MHz CL9 1.5V RAM
Should be able to get a GTX 760 on your budget.
Case, just get something you like (you can post links to ask for opinions)
Power supply, a Corsair CX500M should do fine.

Edit: Here's a list

Thanks for the input. Maybe I need to go the other direction and see where I should cut back....What I layed out was

i7-4770K
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Gbyte GA-z87X-UD4H
Corsair Vengeance 8GB
Seagate Barracuda 3TB
Gbyte HD 7970 3GB
Cooler Master HAF 932 Adv
Corsair Gold 850W

Easy to go overkill harder to figure out what is enough!....plus not even close to budget!!!

Thanks for the input. Maybe I need to go the other direction and see where I should cut back....What I layed out was

i7-4770K
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Gbyte GA-z87X-UD4H
Corsair Vengeance 8GB
Seagate Barracuda 3TB
Gbyte HD 7970 3GB
Cooler Master HAF 932 Adv
Corsair Gold 850W

Easy to go overkill harder to figure out what is enough!

I run iRacing regularly with the desktop in my signature. I'm well over 200FPS every race. What I listed will do everything you need and more.

If you want to change a bit, swap the GTX760 for an HD 7950/7970.

Edit: Also, what you listed is about double your budget.

Here's another angle on the situation- can you AFFORD the 4770K build? I know it's outside budget but a 4770K/7970 would murder an FX6300 with a GTX760. Obviously the FX system would do everything you need, but if you ever wanted the system to do MORE, say, play BF4 for example, you'd want the better hardware.

OK I have read a few more reviews and have tried to put together a good rig, not going for state of the art but want something that can handle future multi screen iRacing set up and can handle video editing.
If you could review these specs and make recommendations I would appreciate it greatly.

AMD FX-8350
Gbyte GA-990FXA-UD3
Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3-1600
Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Gbyte GeForce GTX660 2GB (realize I will need to add cards for multi screen)
Cool Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower
Corsair Prof 850W Plus Gold

OK I have read a few more reviews and have tried to put together a good rig, not going for state of the art but want something that can handle future multi screen iRacing set up and can handle video editing.
If you could review these specs and make recommendations I would appreciate it greatly.

AMD FX-8350
Gbyte GA-990FXA-UD3
Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3-1600
Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Gbyte GeForce GTX660 2GB (realize I will need to add cards for multi screen)
Cool Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower
Corsair Prof 850W Plus Gold

For not much more than that ($60) you could go to an i5 4670K and an Asus Z87-A board. Better system.

You could easily afford it by cutting the PSU down to a corsair CX500.

Back