• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need feedback on new build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Forerunner2

Dear Forum,

I'm building a new system. I hardly game @ all but would like feedback on it. Thx.

GIGABYTE GA-970A-DP3

AMD FX-6100(3.6GHz or 3.9GHz(TURBO)/6 CORE

GIGABYTE RADEON HD 6950/2GB GDDR5memory

Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1600 CL/8GB

OCZ Vertex 4 2.5'' SSD/128GB

WD Cavier Green
Desktop HDD/2TB

Corsair Carbide Series
SPEC-01 Red LED Window
Mid-Tower Gaming Case

EVGA SUPERNOVA 750B Power Supply

LG DVD Drive Burner 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X" OEM
- Black, SATA(2)
Operating System- Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64b en w/SP1

Are all these components you list to be bought new or are you carrying some of them over from a previous build?

If you aren't much of a gamer, what then is the primary use of the computer?

The Radeon HD 6950 is a very dated card. I certainly would recommend moving up to a newer one such as an R7 350 or R7 450 which have native Direct X 12 capablility.

Your 750W PSU is way overkill for your system's power needs. 500 watts would be plenty. But the EVGA Supernova series is an excellent product line. Just get a smaller one.

The big problem I see with your list of components is the RAM. It is well-known that Kingston and AMD motherboards/CPUs don't play well together. Go with GSKill RAM.

I would also not go with the WD green hard drive because they don't perform well. Go with a 7200 rpm HGST drive.

Back