• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SuSE 9.3 IP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

petteyg359

Likes Popcorn
Using SuSE 9.3 and my Ralink RT2500 chipset 802.11g card, I cannot get a static IP. In Windows, I can manually set an IP and 192.168.1.1 as the DNS server (that's what the router assigns as DNS over DHCP). In Linux, if I try the same, it doesn't work. Over DHCP, I cannot get an IP at all for some reason. Any ideas?

When the system boots up, does it give any errors? When it says ¨Bringing up eth0", does it say "OK"?

I'm wondering if it found your card. A lot of the wireless cards do not work right out of the box. You might need to use ndiswrapper.

Also, is your network using encryption? If so, you need to enter keys.

No, no errors. And no, I don't need NDISwrapper. SuSE 9.3 has support for it.

Last edited:
Are you loading the module? Does it show on lsmod?

And do you have encryption on your network?

How are you setting a static ip?

Make sure that you set the SSID of your network and your key, like this:
iwconfig wlan0 essid [SSID]
iwconfig wlan0 key restricted [key]
Without using the brackets on each and replacing wlan0 with the interface.

Geez. I said it works fine with DHCP and just can't get a static IP. It's not a problem with the WEP or ESSID. Yes, the module loads. I wouldn't be able to use DHCP if the module didn't load...

:bang head :bang head

I use 128-bit WEP. I've tried setting in YaST (which writes all the settings to /etc/sysconfig/network/eth-id-my-wi-fi-mac (which is actually the MAC, I don't recall it right now)) the radio button for "Static IP", entering '192.168.1.117' as IP and '255.255.255.0' as subnet mask. I set the DNS to '192.168.1.1', as that is the DNS assigned over DHCP by the router.

Back