• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is athlon64 oc'ed worth much more than xp-m???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

uzibear

i'll be cooling with a good 92mm fan and xp90. with the clock speeds that people achieve with xp-m 2500+ i have to ask myself, is athlon64 really worth it?? i suppose my main reason to go athlon64 would be to get pci-express and thus get a refurb 6600 for the price of a radeon9600 :)

yea, but these cbbids that have been running rampid make it super hard to get 2.5ghz. most 754 2800+'s hit 2.5ghz easily. id wait till venice or take a gamble and hope for a lbbid, which are doing pretty good for ocing, and are the new winny revisions

i wouldnt invest in old technology.

the a64 line is much more superior but you pay for it also.
if you want XP prices but a64 horsepower i highley suggest a s754 sempron.
both the cpu and mobo are cheap,also ddr3200 is cheap as hell now.

ive seen a 3% loss in performance in a 754 sempron over A64 but you do loose 64 bit ability.

deathstar13 said:
i wouldnt invest in old technology.

the a64 line is much more superior but you pay for it also.
if you want XP prices but a64 horsepower i highley suggest a s754 sempron.
both the cpu and mobo are cheap,also ddr3200 is cheap as hell now.

ive seen a 3% loss in performance in a 754 sempron over A64 but you do loose 64 bit ability.

so far 64 bit has not proven itself to be "great", the example is the 3% gain lol, so yes, a cheaper way out is the 754 sempron, i wonder if they are gonna make those sempron in venice core? that would be soooo good, i might be dreaming though.

actually there is a "venice" sempron, its called the palermo, and they seem to overclock very well... pretty much as high as your htt will let you take it, in most cases.

http://www.c627627.com/AMD/Athlon64/

what tomchong said.
i read earlier ed saying amd would soon start putting 64bit onto the semprons which i feel will be the polermo.

only issue is its a 939 cpu.
hell if i gotta upgrade my mobo/pci-e/psu just to run it in my case i wont be buying one.

Now really isn't the best time to be making this choice. I would wait as long as possible before going for the best A64 setup you can afford. With the Venice/San Diego release and 3 dual cores on the horizon, prices will probably drop a good deal more in the coming months. I don't know how accurate the info about AMD enabling 64 bit capabilities on the Semprons is. That would make the s754 Semprons identical to s754 Newcastle A64s. In other words, AMD would have cores under two different names that are identical in every respect.

douglasb said:
Now really isn't the best time to be making this choice. I would wait as long as possible before going for the best A64 setup you can afford. With the Venice/San Diego release and 3 dual cores on the horizon, prices will probably drop a good deal more in the coming months. I don't know how accurate the info about AMD enabling 64 bit capabilities on the Semprons is. That would make the s754 Semprons identical to s754 Newcastle A64s. In other words, AMD would have cores under two different names that are identical in every respect.
they do that now with the fx51 i believe and i think the 4000+

the palermo has only 256k cache,so it is differant.
my tip of them adding 64 bit to the sempron came from an article ed just did on the front page.
whether true or not i have no clue.

obvously sooner or later im thinking everything will be adopted to 64bit as windows heads in that direction.but amd could hold out a full year before doing that imo.

Back