• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should we expect AGP to drop drastically? Good time to buy?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pak

Im really close to getting either a 6600gt or 6800gt, still cant decide, but thats another topic.

Should we expect a big price drop in a mos or so? Im not in too much of a rush, but I might freak and go get one. With all the PCIX and Dual SLI technology, Im afraind Ill buy one and see adds like "6800U 200!"

Good time to buy? My current 5700LS does "so so..." in WoW, but in big PVP fight against the horde I tend to drop quite a bit in FPS.

--pak

I doubt there'll be much of a price drop in a matter of months, because it'll take much longer than that before AGP is phased out. My best guess is a year or so before there's a significant drop in price.

6600GT is allready down to like $159.... I'd say they are allready falling quite quickly. Including taxes, i paid $270 for my xfx 6600gt...

AGP will not be phase out anytime soon. There is still quite a significant amount of market demand for it. that is why the vid card manufacturers are still producing AGP card. However, the demand is, of course, not as high as PCI-E. So, with lower production, it results in higher manufacturing cost. This is why you see some AGP cards, like X800XL, cost more than their PCI-E equivalent. The 6800GT is slightly different case, because it was first released as an AGP.

When next gen cards are release, I am sure the PCI-E cards will drop price. however, if the next gen cards do not have AGP cards, I am very sure the current AGP cards prices will not change much at all.

Back