• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

sata + ide

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

oso_fast

hey guys,

short question, can i put a sata hard drive along with a ide hard drive and have them running at the same time. right now i have a 200 gb ide 133, 120 gb ide100 , and iam hoping to get a 200gb sata drive soon.

thank you

Yep, sure can.
I had problems with it at first, cuz it chose to boot from my ide drive first before the sata and my os was on the sata, so i threw the ide onto the second ide controller and it works like a charm :)

thanks for the quick replies, i'll go ahead and get the sata then. thanks again guys

im a COMPLETELY newbie on SATA stuff...so i could just have a single SATA hdd along with the "regular" two IDE hdds?

You guys need to get your terminology right.

SATA = Serial ATA
PATA = Parallel ATA
ATA = IDE

PATA is an IDE device & so is SATA.

Sonny said:
You guys need to get your terminology right.

SATA = Serial ATA
PATA = Parallel ATA
ATA = IDE

PATA is an IDE device & so is SATA.

Very true...I use that improper term all the time too, its just habit, everything I read refers to it like that. I didn't even know until I noticed my bios listed sata as an ide device.

Terms get blurred, especially by those who dont know what they mean. Normally if i refer to an IDE HD i speak of a PATA but if I wanna say a SATA drive then I specifically say SATA...but thats just me.

Also you can interchange HD's all you want to as long as your mobo supports as many as you have.

Back