• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Switching from Intel - Need AMD advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Almondo

Registered
As the thread states, im switching from intel in the next month or so.
Im looking for a good value chip that'll overclock well. Maybe a 3500 or something along those lines perhaps?? Im not interested in a 3000 chip or indeed one of the FX series but are hoping for something mid-range that'll allow me to overclock to get top range performance. I also need recommendations on an AMD skt939 motherboard, usually i would go for Abit or Asus since these generally offer the best performance.
Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated.

PS - Obviously am aware that with overclocking its a case of 'the luck of the draw' as far as the chips are concerned.

Thanks

Since you're waiting a month or so, it's hard to say with San Diego and Venice around the corner. I would wait to see how those are scaling before you make a decision on your processor. As to motherboards, you are looking to move to PCI-E i would assume? If so, the DFI NF4 is going to offer the most overclocking options, as well as run stable for you. You'll need to determine if you want SLI to choose the model you want there. Bassically my advice is do just what you're doing, wait and research right now. Today would be a bad time to make the jump from what you have, we'll see if that changes within the next few weeks.

well, you want the 3700+ San Diego then, this is the same as the fx, but w/ multi's locked, meaning you can use the stock multi(11x) and below, and 1mb L2

dfi lanparty ut nf4 ultra-d is the mobo you want, hands down, if you want to use SLi, you can mod this board, or get the dfi SLi version

ocz powerstream 520w for power supply, unless you want to spend the money for a pc power & cooling 510w express, or the 510w sli for SLi

memory, of course, tccd by G.skill, 1gbLA, or LE if u wanna save

these are the yummy's for amd, if u want some prices/links, let me know

mista ting said:
why do you want to switch? you are currently oc'ed passed a a64 3800+ :D

64 bit support, SLI support, PCI express.

Plus im moving to South Africa in the next few months, wont be able to afford any comp equipment down there so need something thats future proofed for the next 2-3 years.

Almondo said:
64 bit support, SLI support, PCI express.

Plus im moving to South Africa in the next few months, wont be able to afford any comp equipment down there so need something thats future proofed for the next 2-3 years.

oh i dident think it was that seeing your running the X800XTPE :bang head

Molester said:
well, you want the 3700+ San Diego then, this is the same as the fx, but w/ multi's locked, meaning you can use the stock multi(11x) and below, and 1mb L2

dfi lanparty ut nf4 ultra-d is the mobo you want, hands down, if you want to use SLi, you can mod this board, or get the dfi SLi version

ocz powerstream 520w for power supply, unless you want to spend the money for a pc power & cooling 510w express, or the 510w sli for SLi

memory, of course, tccd by G.skill, 1gbLA, or LE if u wanna save

these are the yummy's for amd, if u want some prices/links, let me know

I'll keep my current PSU's if it will allow me to use both at the same time.
G skill is EXPENSIVE. Very bloody expensive!!!! I'll see how the budget runs.

If the PC-4400 G-skill stuff is too much for ya, then a flavor of PC-3200 TCCD will do you good. Or you could check out the VX line from OCZ or the Blue line from Mushkin if you end with the DFI board because that motherboard can supply the voltage that the VX and the Blue's require to OC well :)

I would suggest a 3500 Venice or San Diego as your chip of choice. If you find your budget is still a little over, you can drop down to a 3200 Venice and you will not be disappointed!

Back