• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does Video Card Manufacturer Matter?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kolath

Registered
I'm going to be upgrading in the next month and I have been checking out the real-time price engine. I seem to find that for every video card there are several different manufacturers. Is there a noticeable difference between them? Are there any to avoid? Any help would be appreciated.

Also, I found a Connect3D Radeon X800XL for $250, is that a good deal?

IMO manufacturer does not matter. Unless it was made in someones backyard. Get my driff. There is a group of use running the same cored video cards. PNY, BFG and gigabyte. None of use have had problems. But i will not say that ever manufacturer is perfict. They are all human and make a mistake and it gets out. For the most part though go with what u want.

The only big difference as the post before me mentioned, is the type (not size) of the RAM used and what kind of cooling solution it has. As far as default performance is concerned there is no noticeable difference, it usually shows its head when you try to overclock the card.

Reliability, quality of components along with the things everybody else mentioned.

Some companies put very cheap heatsinks on their cards, cheap fans, inadequate memory cooling ... things like that. Its no mistake that some cards have severely lower rates of death than others.

dont forget the quality of the pcb. some brands like robanton are sure to use crap pcb. memory is the other big factor.

i would also look into warranty length and quality of customer support. i know BFG offers lifetime warranty and 24 hour tech support on there cards. something to think about before buying.

well, if you oc it, then warranty doesnt make a difference. i like to look at the software bundle and cd's they give you.

Back