• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

glxgears in gentoo64

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SatanSkin

I have the nvidia 6800GT and have X working fine and all that good stuff. I have emerge nvidia-kernel, glx, and settings successfully. Yet when I try to run glxgears i get an error saying "Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0". glxgears: Error: couldn't get an RGB , Double-buffered visual."

Also when trying to start doom3, it errors out saying "Sys_Error: Unable to initialize OpenGL"

I did run 'opengl-update nvidia' after emerging nvidia-glx. Any ideas on how to get this fixed up?

Definately using driver nvidia and have kernel module nvidia loaded?

I get this for glxinfo with an FX5700LE:
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.3
And a lot of other things.

I get this for glxinfo:

glxinfo
name of display: :0.0
Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Error: couldn't find RGB GLX visual

visual x bf lv rg d st colorbuffer ax dp st accumbuffer ms cav
id dep cl sp sz l ci b ro r g b a bf th cl r g b a ns b eat
----------------------------------------------------------------------
0x21 24 tc 1 0 0 c . . 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 None
0x22 24 dc 1 0 0 c . . 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 None
Segmentation fault

I did uncomment the Load "GLX" in my xorg.conf before. For the driver is says it is "nv". Not sure if that's the one you meant, but it says it is for my card.

The driver should be "nvidia" if you are using the actual Nvidia drivers like you are. The nv driver is the open source one without all of the acceleration features of the nvidia one. Once you change it and restart X, it should work.

The nv driver is the GPLed one without any hardware 3D. In short: you aren't using the nvidia driver. Change the line with "nv" in Xorg.conf into "nvidia"

SatanSkin said:
For the driver is says it is "nv". Not sure if that's the one you meant, but it says it is for my card.
There's your problem. Change "nv" to "nvidia". You may also want to run
Code:
opengl-update nvidia
just for good measure. That should get you up and running :)

Thanks guys! That got it working! Is 10590fps good for glxgears?

Now if I could just get my firefox to stop freezing up! When I open it, it loads up and then sort of freezes for a bit. I can't do anything and it slows down everything else, WAY DOWN! I move it to another workspace for a bit and then go back to it and it seems to work fine. But it happens everytime a new window is opened from it. and when things are slow like that, I can' t just close it. It pops up a message saying it isn't responding and asks if i want to 'force quit.' Mozilla, however, will open and run just fine. I'm not sure what is causing this. It just started a few days ago and happens with both FireFox and FireFox-bin. Any ideas?

10.6 k seems pretty good. I have never figured out why, but for some reason, my glxgears runs a lot faster on my red hat install than on my gentoo install. I get 10.2k on my red hat and 6.8k or so on my gentoo.

glxgears isn't really a reliable benchmark of performance, just a way to make sure it's working. That looks like gkrellm in that screenshot.

Do you know a good video benchmark program for linux Kaltag?

MRD said:
Do you know a good video benchmark program for linux Kaltag?
Unfortunately no, I have had moderate success getting 3dmark to run via cedega but it always crashes before finishing if it doesn't fail the install first :D

I haven't found a skin that would get it looking anything like those. I think I once heard something about a different monitor than gkrellm. Not sure though. Either way, I really like that and would like to set up something like that. So if anyone knows how...

Back