• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't load windows w/ 2 GPUs, Safe Mode is fine

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LoneWolf121188

I keep getting BSODs when I start my computer at various times. Usually its during the loading screen, but sometimes I can actually log in and do stuff for a few seconds before it reboots. Why? I've tried reinstalling the driver in safe mode...what else could it be? It was working fine before I reinstalled windows last week (I really do not want to go through that AGAIN...already done it like 4 times in the past 5 months...)

use drivercleaner and delete ALL drivers... then try to let windows detect everything...

are they the same brand of cards??

Uh oh...I installed drivercleaner and ran the program like it said. I uninstalled the drivers, booted to safe mode, uninstalled again, ran drivercleaner, and rebooted. Still nothing. So I went back into safe mode and reinstalled the drivers there. Nothing. Then I thought it might be a hardware problem, so I switched the 2nd card with the first and ran it by itself. No POST. The beep code was 1 long, 2 short, but I have no idea what that means. There's no description anywhere in the manual for the beep codes. So I think to myself, "great I just fried a $400 GPU", and switch the cards back around. So my amazement/horror, I still get no POST!!! AAAAAAA!!!!!

I tried a clearRTC, no good.

WHATS GOING ON?!?!?!? There is NO WAY I could have killed 2 cards...

Ok, try dissassambling everything and start from scratch.
Do the CPU and Mem and Vid Card first, also reset CMOS the hard way by removing the battery.
Thats the only thing I can think about.
Also, is the card in right? Is the leaver up?
I don't think the GPU's fried by themselfs unless your mobo is shorting out.

Flip-Mode said:
Ok, try dissassambling everything and start from scratch.
Do the CPU and Mem and Vid Card first, also reset CMOS the hard way by removing the battery.
Thats the only thing I can think about.
Also, is the card in right? Is the leaver up?
I don't think the GPU's fried by themselfs unless your mobo is shorting out.

Don't you always reset the CMOS by removing the battery? Unplug, remove battery, change jumper, change back, replace battery, plug in. Thats how I do it, anyway.

What leaver are you talking about?

CMOS can be reset by removing the batt OR jumper reset then boot then return the jumper OR by just booting with Insert key pressed.
The insert key is working on my Abit board, don't know about other boards.

Anyway about the leaver, AGP slots have a locking mechanisam that also acts as an indicator as for if the card is seated right, Gigabyte boards have a push pin design and most other boards have just a leaver. I assume PCIx has some similar mechanisam.

Flip-Mode said:
CMOS can be reset by removing the batt

Removing the battery, unplugging the PSU and leaving it for a while will clear the cmos. If you remove the battery and unplug it, there's no need to move the jumper.

OR jumper reset then boot then return the jumper

That's not how you do it on my board. You move the jumper to the clear position, leave it for a while , put it back. I think this cuts power to the cmos. Booting with the jumper in the clear position may be a bad idea.

OR by just booting with Insert key pressed.
The insert key is working on my Abit board, don't know about other boards.

This may be an Abit-only thing. You mobo manual should tell you how best to clear the cmos for your board.

Anyway about the leaver, AGP slots have a locking mechanisam that also acts as an indicator as for if the card is seated right, Gigabyte boards have a push pin design and most other boards have just a leaver. I assume PCIx has some similar mechanisam.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure about the other problem. Do you have an old PCI card you could use to see if the system will post with that?

w00t! I fixed it! Turns out the EZ selector card (the one that you flip to go from dual to single cards) was seated wrong. Simple things like that make you freak out...

Anyway, it turns out that the other GPU is indeed screwed up. I tried booting with just that one, and I got weird lines and stuff all over the screen. It was kinda hard to expain...colored static, maybe...Time to send an email to XFX.

Perhaps that stock PSU had a hand in that card's fate? Might be a good idea to switch that out...too nice of a setup to not have the best in power.

-Fb

Back