• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crap! i think that i just Fried my HD from OC HTT to far.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ty1er

Registered
Crap! i think that i just Fried my HD from OC HTT to far. *Solved*

I wasnt sure under which topic forum i should have posted under.

I think that i have really done it this time.
OK, so i was feeling adventerous and decieded to OC my venice.
First off i wanted to find my highest HTT my pc would boot with.

So im keep on bumping up the HTT, everything seeems to be going fine. Until the last adjustment.
I set the HTT at 260 but i also left the LDT (or LTD whatever its called) multi at x5. (yes i know that was stupid)
This time when i rebooted the PC would get suck at the POST screen. It would just hang, without letting me get back into the bios to lower the settings. I had to reboot around 20 times, then finally the "OC failed" msg came up and i was able to hit F1 and enter the bios to change the setting back to default.

Now when booting the PC displays the message "insert or select boot device" or something to that effect.
Im thinking that i either messed up my HD, or the IDE controller.

SO i took the HD and slaved it onto my other PC, so that i could checkit out. Then i used Disk Manager under WINxp and it diplayed the HD as and Unpartitioned/Unformatted Drive.
So i guess that i fried my HD. How is this possible? Since my A8V was using the PCI/AGP locks. Has is something to do with pushing the HT for far?

Well, i guess im going to have to buy a new HD today.

Has anyone else done killed a HD this way before?

Last edited:
Why didn't you just used the clear jumper or took out the battery instead of rebooting? I guess you could consider the data lost on that drive if it says it's unpartioned/unformatted so try to format and see what happens, hope you didn't lose anything important.

Last edited:
Avg said:
Why didn't you just used the clear jumper or took out the battery instead of rebooting? I guess you could consider the data lost on that drive if it says it's unpartioned/unformatted so try toformat and see what happens, hope you didn't lose anything important.

I should have used the clear jumper.... i dont know what i was thinking. (it was late, i was already over tired.....)

The good this is that i a few days before i made an image of that drive.

That's good, try to format the drive and see what happens.

Avg said:
That's good, try to format the drive and see what happens.

Well im at work now, but i was able to Repartition and format the complete drive. Thats a good thing.

When i get home i will have the chance to set it back up as the primary HD, and i'll ghost the image back over on to it. Hopefully everything goes smoothly.

I give a "update post" when i can further assess my situation.

*Solved*

After i sucessfuly repartition and formated the drive i did not have any problems restoring the ghosted image for my main partition.

Everything is up an running! so far so good. phew..... that is a relief.

So im guessing that i currupted the partition table or something to that effect. The lesson learned here is DONT try to run the HT at 1300mhz. lol, oops.

ty1er said:
I wasnt sure under which topic forum i should have posted under.

I think that i have really done it this time.
OK, so i was feeling adventerous and decieded to OC my venice.
First off i wanted to find my highest HTT my pc would boot with.

So im keep on bumping up the HTT, everything seeems to be going fine. Until the last adjustment.
I set the HTT at 260 but i also left the LDT (or LTD whatever its called) multi at x5. (yes i know that was stupid)

Mate, this board auto scales HTF if left at 1000MHz. So that may not be your problem. I suspect that the PCI/AGP lock was not manually set to 66.66/33.33, to be the cause of the crash.

This time when i rebooted the PC would get suck at the POST screen. It would just hang, without letting me get back into the bios to lower the settings. I had to reboot around 20 times, then finally the "OC failed" msg came up and i was able to hit F1 and enter the bios to change the setting back to default.

Now when booting the PC displays the message "insert or select boot device" or something to that effect.
Im thinking that i either messed up my HD, or the IDE controller.

How many HDD's do you have? Are you on the VIA or Promise controller? Check my sticky on issues regarding this. You can check the BIOS and see if the first HDD is the one with XP on it or if you are in the onboard IDE operating mode.

SO i took the HD and slaved it onto my other PC, so that i could checkit out. Then i used Disk Manager under WINxp and it diplayed the HD as and Unpartitioned/Unformatted Drive.
So i guess that i fried my HD. How is this possible? Since my A8V was using the PCI/AGP locks. Has is something to do with pushing the HT for far?

Well, i guess im going to have to buy a new HD today.

Has anyone else done killed a HD this way before?

No mate, HDD's don't die like that :). I see that you have reformatted your HDD, but before doing that in the future, drop me a pm.

S-N

Back