• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why is this DFI so cheap?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gessfk

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813136152

two pci-e x 16..now I read that it doesn't have the SLI chipset, is that why? But then why the heck does it have two pcix16 slots lol.. (yes I read about how it can be modded easily to SLI with pencil), but is that the only reason? did they like flub up putting the wrong chipset on there or what? Also read that leadtek is selling SLI bridges, which would make it complete..

Think it's smart to purchase one of these while they're around? I can't do a full pci-e / 64bit upgrade at the moment, and will probably want to wait until next gen cards come out, so I can hopefully pick up a pci-e card even cheaper

thoughts?

also, anyone bought one recently from newegg? supposedly 5/2/05 nvidia is gonna try to change the chipset so it can't be modded..wonder how fast the old UT's are going

basically it has 2 pcix16 slots, u can mod it to ultra thru a pencil mod, so basically its a really cheap SLI board, and there are planty of people around here that have these boards.

- Feuer Frei

UPDATE 2/05/2005: nVidia has acted to prevent, or at least make it more difficult, to mod the Ultra board to SLI. First, DFI has advised us, and posted on their website, that they will NOT sell the SLI bridge to buyers of the Ultra board. Second, nVidia has advised us that future shipments of the Ultra chipset have been modified so that the mod to SLI will no longer be possible. An additional side effect of this second action is that the "Dual Video" mode, which performs at about 90% of SLI performance levels, will only work with nVidia SLI drivers 66.75 or earlier. If you do a quick check of web driver postings you will see it is now very difficult to find 66.75 drivers. With a chipset modded to SLI the "Dual Video" mode worked through 70.xx versions of the nVidia driver. nVidia also made it clear they will continue to make driver changes to prevent functioning of any "non-standard" (8X/8X) operation of their SLI driver. This also throws into question whether the VIA "dual graphics" mode on the 894 Pro chipset will ever work with nVidia graphics cards. If you are interested in the current UT Ultra-D we suggest you buy one now if you can find it. Future versions of the UT Ultra-D will not have the same capabilities as a result of these actions.

What exactly does this mean in lamen terms? I won't be able to upgrade video drivers if I do this mod at a later date? All the things in quotes are fuzzy, probably because I don't know much about SLI, but I'm just curious what this would mean in for me in the future. If I were to get this board, I'd more than likely get a 6600gt to go with it (1), and maybe get a second at a later date. Now, if I can't use newer drivers, I can still use the video cards that are out right now, right? because I doubt that I will -ever- get close to two 6800 ultras within the next 3-5+ years, meaning it'd probably be time for a full upgrade again

Back