• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wireless Network Trouble

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mustard Duster

I just bought a Linksys Wireless-B Router. (BEFW11S4). I connected my PC to it with no problem, using one of the ethernet ports. Everything worked fine. Then I installed a Hawking Wireless-G PCI Card into my dads PC. His PC and the router are roughly 40-50ft from each other, with 1 wall blocking the two. Sometimes I think the card can see the router, but there is no signal.I have tried everything I know to do (I'm no networking expert), making sure the SSID is the same on the router and card, making sure they are on the same channel, etc. I also installed the card on my PC which is about 2ft from the router. We do have a 2.4Ghz cordless phone, but I unplugged it and took the batteries out of the handset. Still no luck. I greatly appriciate any help.

You have a B router and a G card, which is backwards compatilble with B. I would try the settings on the wifi card and see if it can be set/force to B, to see if that helps.

Try changing the channel to make sure there isn't interference from other networks. If the router is setup to use WEP (it probably is by default) make sure the computer has the WEP key entered into the wireless network properties.

Are your network settings the same? If you have your card set to AD-HOC instead of infrastructure your card will not connect.

AD-HOC means that one wireless card is connected directly to another wirelesss card with no router.

Infrastructure means that the cards are connecting to the router, not each other.

good luck

UPDATE: I had a friend come over with his laptop and he was able connect, so I know its not my router. Any more suggestions? I've tried everthing listed here. I'm about ready to return the card and get a linksys card.

Back