• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wiring Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Smartiepants

Hello,
I am a summer student and I have been given the task of labelling the server room. The main things that need to be done are to find out which CAT5 cables are connected to what (ie where does it lead to) and to make sure that each server is connected to both of the UPS units, without unplugging them of course. I cannot simply just follow the cables as there are too many of them and they run beneath the floor. Can anyone reccomend a tool which I can use for this?

I understand not unplugging the UPS', but can you unplug the cat5's?
You'd need a toner/probe. Easy to use but only if you can unplug 'em.

Progressive/Ideal is what I use for work, with a little creativity and a spare jack, they work great for cat5 (made for plain old telephone service-pots). You might even be able to follow them through the flooring with a good strong unit like the orange toner at Sandman.com, but cat5 gets tricky at a distance because it's twists make the signal fall off (that's what the twists are for :eh?: )..
Not cheap stuff for a summer student budget, maybe their IT dept can spring for 'em if they don't already have one around.

I second the toner. They're great. I have one that can be plugged into an RJ-11 - RJ-45 jack, or clipped onto a wire. Excellent when you don't want to unbundle a super-tight bunch of cable.

-ben

Back