• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dang, my 9800 Pro just died! What next?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Propilot

It just died for no reason! Hardly overclocked at all with an Artic cooler. :shrug:

So... whats next? Something cheap with as much performance or better. Maybe an XT?

My wallet be dead from a new Cummins Diesel 4x4 ! :p

Oh,,, and AGP

What's your budget ?

If your stricly ATi fanboy then a X800pro w/ Vivo = Softmod it !
If you don't care then 6800NU = Softmod it !

You can get a eVGA 6800NU for 190$ after rebates at monarchcomputers. X800pro is more expensive.

Remember I'm using AGP and not the PCI-E slot.
I will upgrade in the near future, and am looking for something that will not be restricted.

Trying to keep it under 3.

Propilot said:
Remember I'm using AGP and not the PCI-E slot.
I will upgrade in the near future, and am looking for something that will not be restricted.

Trying to keep it under 3.

i would suggest just replace it with another 9800 if you plan to upgrade in the near future the 130$ for a 9800 would be better than dropping 200$+ on a card that won't even be compatable when you upgrade and if the near future isnt as "near" as i figured you may want to think about a 6600GT or the 6800s they speak of, (they do come in AGP versions)

Both cards I've listed come in AGP, the 6800NU would be best bang for buck imo, 200$ for 12 pipes + 4 unlockables seems like a damn good deal.

i would say wait. im pretty sure the prices will drop really soon. if you really need a vid card, then just get a 9600pro for $60 to hold you over

l3ored said:
what next? you rma it of course

as you see he's oc'd it and arctic cooled it so there won't be any rma for him...i still suggest just going for a 9800pro if he just needs something to hold over, decent price/performance and he'll be able to reuse his arctic cooler.

and oc550 could you please keep things on topic

I've seen some R360 core 9800 Pro's w256mg for $60 new.
Will my Artic Silencer for my 128mg card fit the 256mg? Don't know the postioning.

Maybe I could flash to an XT and open up some pipes?

Propilot said:
I've seen some R360 core 9800 Pro's w256mg for $60 new.
Will my Artic Silencer for my 128mg card fit the 256mg? Don't know the postioning.

Maybe I could flash to an XT and open up some pipes?

watch your step alot of the 256mb cards are 128-bit which is actually worse than a 128mb card with 256-bit unless your talking a 6600gt vs a 9800 pro then the 256mb/128-bit is the better choice

Well, just bought a 6800GT w/256mg for $260.
I hope I made the right choice.
How do they run and visual compare?

Back