• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is TridentZ worth its premium over RipJaws?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You can find new IC in kits with more relaxed timings too but there is no guarantee what will you get.

Is there a way to know them by specific series numbers, heatsinks, timings (e.g. pure 16 vs 16-18-etc.) or otherwise, or is it pure lottery? (I do know that F4-3200C16D-16GTZ is double-side.)

Also, is the IC somewhat likely to be better in TridentZ than Ripjaws when frequency, timings and price are all the same (specifically: 3200C15D-16GTZ, F4-3200C15D-16GVK (exact same price as F4-3000C14D-16GVK)), given that TridentZ is theoretically the higher line, or is it literally just the same old bag of chips they're drawing from and putting different heatsinks on?

Edit: I've eventually managed to find this: F4-3200C15D-16GVR (3200, full 15) at a manageable price, basically $17 above the 3200/16 and $33 below the 3200/14. This is still going to have the better IC, right, not just a higher chance of it?

Last edited:
Is there a way to know them by specific series numbers, heatsinks, timings (e.g. pure 16 vs 16-18-etc.) or otherwise, or is it pure lottery? (I do know that F4-3200C16D-16GTZ is double-side.)

Also, is the IC somewhat likely to be better in TridentZ than Ripjaws when frequency, timings and price are all the same (specifically: 3200C15D-16GTZ, F4-3200C15D-16GVK (exact same price as F4-3000C14D-16GVK)), given that TridentZ is theoretically the higher line, or is it literally just the same old bag of chips they're drawing from and putting different heatsinks on?

Edit: I've eventually managed to find this: F4-3200C15D-16GVR (3200, full 15) at a manageable price, basically $17 above the 3200/16 and $33 below the 3200/14. This is still going to have the better IC, right, not just a higher chance of it?

There is no way to know for sure what is under the heatsinks but in all kits at tighter settings are new Samsung IC just because older IC couldn't run so tight. You can check my tests, there are 7 Trident Z and Ripjaws V kits ( Ripjaws V only from old series ).

From what I was testing, in Trident Z it looks like this:

Old - double sided 8GB modules:
3200 16-16-16 <- about max they can make
3200 16-18-18 <- typical relaxed timings
3400 16-18-18 <- better bin at 1.35V

New - single sided 8GB modules:
3000 14-14-14 <- typical settings, no tighter kits in stores but can make 13-13-13
3200 15-15-15 <- typical settings, 13-13-13 max in stores
3600 16-16-16 <- typical settings, 15-15-15 max in stores

So with Trident Z there is no problem but with Ripjaws V it can be as many older and newer kits have the same main timings like 3000 15-15-15/15-16-16, 3200 16-16-16/16-18-18.

I have the Ripjaws V 3200MHz I like them, I don't know why I purchased them my video card is only a GTX 970, they just look so good on a graph:cool:. Here is a scaling benchmarks for memory it has to be done past 300 FPS http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015...76700k_ipc_overclocking_review/6#.V4MjVEn6uUk
Sorry, what does a single gpu have to do with your ram purchase?

You do realize that testing was done at unrealistically low resolutios thus magifying the differences, right? They were tested at 640x480. I havent seen that resolution since the early 90s. One test was done a little higber.. nothing at 1080p. What do you mean when it says it has to be done after 300fps?

Last edited:
So with Trident Z there is no problem but with Ripjaws V it can be as many older and newer kits have the same main timings like 3000 15-15-15/15-16-16, 3200 16-16-16/16-18-18.

Thanks, Woomack. I suspected this could be one of the very few areas where TridentZ could have an advantage, though I thought it would be simply because of higher sold => higher binned. Didn't think about TridentZ not having the one million different versions and incarnations Ripjaws has.

As far as the Polish market right now (importing currently makes no sense, not even from Germany), it seems it's either Tridentz 3200/14 or some sort of Ripjaws for the tighter timings. I dug that 3200/15 up on NetS for PLN 455 to avoid the 576 on Morele.net for the 3200/14 TridentZ. At 120 PLN less it's less guilt-inducing to buy, but I've no mind for too much gambling. I'd rather spend 580 to be sure than 460 to have a high chance.

You can't know how stupid I feel right now seriously considering a premium spend on the RAM after skimping out on the CPU. Comes with the nickname I guess. To think there were 6700s sold under PLN 1000.

But I've just made some quick money, so I might be tempted to get the TridentZ 3200/14 after all, just to worry about the money and not the hardware later. Overpaid money is a reason for quick mourning, but underpaid hardware sticks around in your case for years to come.

I've heard there's some relationship between GPU speed and RAM speed and between the number of GPUs and some of the parameters of system RAM (size for sure, probably frequency).

My ambitions are limited to 1080p for the time being, but I may be tempted to go up eventually, just probably not this year and not the next. If I get a nice contract for extra $500 or something, it will probably increase my holiday budget rather than my PC budget, this supposing I'm lucky enough so that no family member gets in money trouble again in the meantime.

However, I have a damaged 280X here in addition to the one that works. I'm not sure it can't be repaired for less than the cost of a new card, certainly not in any random repair shop given the nature of the damage, but if it can, then I'm obviously going to have two of these for CF if my PSU will let me, and that's already 4K territory. Or if not 4K, then at least more than 1080p anyway.

Last edited:
I have the Ripjaws V 3200MHz I like them, I don't know why I purchased them my video card is only a GTX 970, they just look so good on a graph:cool:. Here is a scaling benchmarks for memory it has to be done past 300 FPS http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015...76700k_ipc_overclocking_review/6#.V4MjVEn6uUk

Not much if you can't run past 300FPS from what I have seen in Hardocp memory scaling.
You do realize that testing was done at unrealistically low resolutios thus magifying the differences, right? They were tested at 640x480. I havent seen that resolution since the early 90s. One test was done a little higber.. nothing at 1080p. What do you mean when it says it has to be done after 300fps?

The testing for CPU memory scaling looks like you need FPS Past 300+FPS in Hardocp test. Makes me wonder how the memory scaling would do at 1080p and 2 GTX 1080s.

Let me elaborate.. It doesn't show/support why you put the link up. Its like we are talking, and suddenly you run off chasing a butterfly... though its entirely possible I missed the meaning too! :rofl:

I've heard there's some relationship between GPU speed and RAM speed and between the number of GPUs and some of the parameters of system RAM (size for sure, probably frequency).
Yes, in SLI/CFx, faster ram helps with FPS. Otherwise, not so much... at least at 1080p/2560x1440 res.

Crap. Through all the talking here they've bought out all 3200/14 available in Poland and apparently a number of other countries, and prices of 3200/15 and 3000/14 have each gone up. This will teach me to buy faster.

Not sure how much shipping is to Poland, but...

Shipment itself is normally manageable, but 23% VAT and customs is a whole different kettle of insufferable fiscal oppression.

Luckily, eventually managed to find some 3200/15 and overpriced 3000/14 in Poland and 3200/14 in Germany. Not looking forward to crossborder warranty service without understanding the language, but if they have an English website, they can probably handle RMAs in English too.

Ahh. I was willing to send it your way but it sounds like it would cost you at least as much and take twice as long. It's a shame the EU gets almost a quarter of everything. Sort of explains Brexit. (We taught them that) :rofl:

Shipping costs to Poland are generally high on newegg. I don't know what about now but some time ago I was checking it and it was like ~$50 shipping +23% tax +high chance on 3% duty costs. At the end it's cheaper to buy it from local store or something like Amazon in EU. Most local stores with more interesting memory kits take them from Germany and add ~+10%. Like morele.net have some products "copy/paste" from caseking.de ( sometimes products have German words in description ).

PO small flat box is the only way to send memory without additional costs. Last time I got something like that it was about $15 but there are no additional options like insurance etc. Friends can send package as a "gift" and as long as declared value is below ~$10 you won't pay additional tax or duty.
Everything shipped with invoice will be taxed and everything shipped by stores will be taxed ( then you need any purchase document which says what is the product value ).

I think I'm down to choosing F43200C15D16GVR locally — which is red 3200 MHz CL15, usually significantly cheaper than the GVK with black heatsinks — or F43200C14D16GVR (3200/14, otherwise identical) from Germany.

The rest is balancing delivery time and potential problems and price to some extent. I don't wanna end up having paid a shop abroad and waiting a month till they actually get the stick or something like that. I don't trust shops that don't mention availability at all, nor can I trust the shops that state 2 weeks is the lead time — who knows if they even have the sticks or will be able to get them at all.

I'm not considering 3000/14 because they're significantly more expensive than 3200/15, where usually they should be a little bit slower, so it looks like sellers making a big deal of the CL and people falling for it without realizing that CL is not all that there is to latency.

PO small flat box is the only way to send memory without additional costs. Last time I got something like that it was about $15 but there are no additional options like insurance etc. Friends can send package as a "gift" and as long as declared value is below ~$10 you won't pay additional tax or duty.
Everything shipped with invoice will be taxed and everything shipped by stores will be taxed ( then you need any purchase document which says what is the product value ).

"Used RAM". Value $9.99. Hmmm.... LOL

Back