• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i need help ram overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zekee

My pc setup

motherboard GIGABYTE A520M K V2
CPU ryzen 5 5600
GPU rx 6650 xt
RAM

PNY MD16GK2D4320016XRGB XLR8 Gaming EPIC-X RGB DDR4-3200Mhz C16 16GB (2x8GB) DUAL (16-18-18-38) 1.35V​

I want to overclock the RAM. I would be very happy if anyone could help me with this.

:welcome:
Your thread should have been posted to the Hardware / Memory section, but we will see how we can help you.
Please post a screenshot of CPUZ opened up 4 times. Show us the CPU, Mainboard, Memory and SPD tabs.
Are you trying to run the DDR4-3200MHz XMP profile, or are you trying to get to a higher frequency?
I saw a review of your RAM at Tom's Hardware, and they found your RAM doesn't overclock very well past the XMP profile, but they did get it to 3600MHz.
I downloaded the manual to your motherboard and found a separate link to the BIOS manual. Both are handy to keep local on your PC.

BTW, here's a CPUZ screenshot example.

CPUZ_Example.png

I want to increase the frequency or change the timing values to reduce my delay values.

Attachments

• Adsız.png
    Adsız.png
    39.3 KB · Views: 7
Some simple ways to check how high it will go (at least how high it will boot):
1. Set everything at auto except for the memory clock - set it at 3600, and memory voltage - set it at 1.45V. Check if it boots, and if yes, then check 3733 or 3800. If you try this, then the motherboard will try to train the memory at the default timings, probably something very relaxed. The whole point of this step is to find how high it will boot and if you can even count on a higher clock. The next step will be to set timings manually.

2. Enable XMP but set a higher memory frequency - 3466 or 3600. If it boots, then check the higher clock. This way, it will tell you if memory runs at XMP settings at a higher clock. The XMP profile isn't really bad. It could be better, but if you set 3600 at these timings then it will be just right.

If you make it work at 3600 CL16-18-18 1.35V, then check stability (AIDA64, Prime95, various memtest versions, or even extended 7-Zip benchmark with a library file close to the max RAM capacity). If it won't work, then set a 1.40V or 1.45V memory voltage and test again. If it won't work, then check CL16-19-19 or CL16-20-20.

This memory suggests it will run at 3600, 3733, or 3800 CL16-20-20, 17-20-20, or 18-20-20. It would be much easier if we knew the memory IC. The optimal would be 3600 CL16-x-x. I don't think it's worth the time to play with sub-timings, as it will barely help.

I don't think you can improve your results a lot on your motherboard as it's a lower series, and Gigabyte is barely ever tuning BIOS for lower series.

Some simple ways to check how high it will go (at least how high it will boot):
1. Set everything at auto except for the memory clock - set it at 3600, and memory voltage - set it at 1.45V. Check if it boots, and if yes, then check 3733 or 3800. If you try this, then the motherboard will try to train the memory at the default timings, probably something very relaxed. The whole point of this step is to find how high it will boot and if you can even count on a higher clock. The next step will be to set timings manually.

2. Enable XMP but set a higher memory frequency - 3466 or 3600. If it boots, then check the higher clock. This way, it will tell you if memory runs at XMP settings at a higher clock. The XMP profile isn't really bad. It could be better, but if you set 3600 at these timings then it will be just right.

If you make it work at 3600 CL16-18-18 1.35V, then check stability (AIDA64, Prime95, various memtest versions, or even extended 7-Zip benchmark with a library file close to the max RAM capacity). If it won't work, then set a 1.40V or 1.45V memory voltage and test again. If it won't work, then check CL16-19-19 or CL16-20-20.

This memory suggests it will run at 3600, 3733, or 3800 CL16-20-20, 17-20-20, or 18-20-20. It would be much easier if we knew the memory IC. The optimal would be 3600 CL16-x-x. I don't think it's worth the time to play with sub-timings, as it will barely help.

I don't think you can improve your results a lot on your motherboard as it's a lower series, and Gigabyte is barely ever tuning BIOS for lower series.
I tried to do what you said, but the settings kept returning to their previous state.

You can still try to set something around the settings I said, but I doubt you can make much more. Probably you will waste a lot of time on a 1% performance gain.

I see you are on BIOS version F1 which is the original release for your board. Update to F3b at least for the security vulnerability fixes and try following Woomack's overclock advice again. Sometimes BIOS updates include fixes that help overclocking.

Thank you, I updated my bios version, but is the limit of what I can do with RAM really that low?

Thank you, I updated my bios version, but is the limit of what I can do with RAM really that low?
The motherboard couldn't get any less expensive/cheap, so support for more isn't there. You need use a higher end chipset or RAM that's on the QVL list for your best chance at success.

Even if you could select a bigger range, the performance increase from RAM isn't much anyway (a couple of % at best).

EDIT: Another thing I just noticed in your screenshot is that CPUz doesn't report Dual channel (but says 2xZZ)... how many sticks of RAM do you have, and which slots are they in? They should be in A2/B2 for best results (see manual for your mobo). FYI, I don't see ANY PNY sticks on their memory QVL for your processor.........

Last edited:
There are only 2 RAM slots on my motherboard, and I see on my motherboard's website that it supports OC values up to 5100 MHz. What is the reason?

There are only 2 RAM slots on my motherboard, and I see on my motherboard's website that it supports OC values up to 5100 MHz. What is the reason?
Oops! I see that now!

The reason is that they tested it and confirmed THE STICKS ON THE QVL work at those speeds. Anything else isn't guaranteed. You may have missed one of my edits above, but I don't see ANY PNY sticks on the Vermeer (your CPU) Memory QVL list......

PNY modelini görmemiş olmanın dezavantajı tam olarak nedir?

If it is on the list, it means they were tested and working successfully. If a kit is not on the list, they either didn't test the kit(s) or the kit(s) didn't work when tested.

Your best chance for higher clocks is to buy something on the list. That said, the performance difference (a couple of % across most cases) isn't worth the upgrade...unless some work you do benefits more than that? But for general PC use and gaming there isn't a huge benefit.

I realize that it doesn't seem possible for me to do anything extra with what I have now. thank you <3

Back