• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I want MORE !! MOAARRR :-D

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MuHcOw

Hi all :cheers:

I'd like to see if my RAM can do better...
I don't expect much performance wize - I just wanna see if they can do better.

I would ALSO like to OC the CPU and GPU at some point as this would probably increase system performance way more than fiddling with RAM settings.
But for now I just wanna fiddle around with my memory.
OCing the CPU/GPU later on probably means redoing the memory OC - I'm okay with that.

System specifications:
Ryzen 9 5950X
4x 16GB Crucial Ballistix Max DDR4-4000
Gigabyte Aorus Master X570 (not the "S" model)
Liquid Devil RX 6900 XT
and two older 2TB M.2 NVMe SSDs (non-RAID)

XMP enabled (for now).

I've read that FCLK 2000 would be great on AMD systems, if achievable.
What should I do in order to get more out of my system?

NOTHING is overclocked at the moment (except for the XMP).

Kind regards

It seems XMP is not enabled since your RAM is running DDR4-2666 (the JEDEC #10 profile).
I would manually try setting DDR4-3600 18-19-19 in BIOS as a starting point. If you try to go past 3600 you need to manually set the Infinity Fabric (Uncore Frequency) to match the RAM. You'll also need to manually set the DRAM Voltage since you aren't using XMP. Try setting it to 1.35v, 1.375v, or 1.4v. I'd start with 1.4v & if it boots try Prime95 blend at lower voltages to see how it responds to lower volts.

I didn't expect a reply THAT fast 😱
Impressive 👌

I would post an image of my BIOS where XMP Profile #1 is marked as active, but I can't at the moment since I'm out of town for the next couple of days.

Think I'm gonna do a "Reset to Defaults" when I get back and post some new screens for you.

Best to start from scratch.

The optimal for Ryzen 5000 is a 1:1 IF ratio, so with 4 memory modules, count on ~3600, and with these specific memory modules, probably something like CL14-17-15 or 14-17-16 at 1.45-1.50V. You can also play safe and set CL16-18-18 1.35-1.40V.
XMP won't work or will force a 1:2 IF ratio, and the results will be worse. The next step worth considering is 1:2, but at 4600+ and 4 memory modules won't work so high.
Start with the advice in post #4, and if you make it work, then you can try what I said.

Should I ditch two of the DIMMs?
That's a decision you need to make based on software use. If you run 32GB of RAM do you find you are using it all?

I know I never come close to running 32GB on my gaming rig. If your rig is only for gaming (& other lite computing), you probably don't need 64GB.

The amount of memory installed WAS because of Catia v5 (3D CAD).

But I'm not using that anymore.

So I'm pretty sure most of the memory is doing nothing 99.999% of the time.

I DO play a lot of Star Citizen, but I don't think it utilizes that much RAM.
IF it does, then I'm not so interested in pulling the two DIMMs after all.

You can run a program like HWiNFO64 while playing to see how much memory it uses, although simply alt-tab and looking at the task manager will give you a decent ballpark.

Star Citizen Recommended Requirements​

• OS – Windows 10 64-bit v.1803 or higher
  • Processor (CPU) – Intel Core i7-9700K / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X or better
  • Graphics Card (GPU) – NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT or better
  • Memory (RAM) – 16+ GB (preferably 24-32 GB)
  • Storage – 80 GB
  • DX (Version) – DirectX 11
  • Game Components – Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5 and 4.5.2
  • Target Quality – High Preset: 1080p 60 fps
You should be fine with 32GB RAM but test it out as Zerileous suggests.

Lots of stuff for me to try when I get back home 👍

Thanks guys ✌️

Okay, I'm back - Ready to try some stuff :fight:

First thing is to reset BIOS to factory defaults and check if my fan curves are still active.
I'm also gonna make sure that AMD Smart Access Memory is enabled (cause I THINK that might be a good thing - Please let me know if I'm wrong).

I will also try and get my old laptop up and running so I have a working lifeline to overclockers.com :sn:

Optimized Defaults - Loaded
Above 4G Decoding - Enabled
Re-Size BAR Support - Auto
CSM Support - Disabled
Fan Curves - Good to go (for now)

First problem:
Smart Access Memory isn't available (Adrenaline Software tells me this)...
I have the latest BIOS firmware (F37b) and the latest Adrenalin Software (23.4.1) installed.

SAM used to be enabled, so I don't know what happened...
Loading "Optimized Defaults" did something (I think)......

I'm gonna power of the PC (completely) and restart, and then see what happens...

[EDIT] - Restart did nothing - Enabling XMP also did nothing.
BUT just for the fun of it - Here's a new CPU-Z screenshot (XMP enabled):

CPU-Z_02.png

[EDIT] - SAM is up and running again - Had to reinstall my BIOS :shrug:

Attachments

• CPU-Z_02.png
    CPU-Z_02.png
    46.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Open GPUz, go to the Advanced tab & select PCIe Resizable Bar from the drop down menu. It should tell you what's wrong.

gpuz-rebar.gif

So the "Auto" part of "Re-Size BAR..." in my BIOS doesn't work as expected..

Maybe I should try and "flip the switch" a few times..

GPU-Z_01.png

Back