• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I want MORE !! MOAARRR :-D

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Csm disabled in bios . Prob in favourites not sure where it it io ports above 4g enable then re size bar enable save
Post magically merged:

Could have issues with other things . But reset bios all good

The first thing I did was to "reset" BIOS - After that I made sure CSM was disabled.
I then enabled "Above 4G decoding" and set Re-Size BAR to "Auto" (there's no "enabled" to select - Auto or Disabled are the only options).

I've read that DOCP (whatever that is) has to be turned on....
I'll search BIOS for that now.

DOCP is Asus Speak for XMP Memory Profile. Maybe it's time to try manually setting your RAM to DDR4-3600.
Manually set your primary timings from the XMP profile in CPUz 18-19-19-39-64, & DRAM Voltage to 1.35v.

Yeah - I did a little reading up on it - DOCP/EOCP/XMP kinda the same thing.

It's called XMP in my Gigabyte BIOS.

I WOULD like to get started!! - But first I'd really like to know why Smart Access Memory won't work..
It used to work.

I've read about some who flashed their BIOS and some who flashed their vBIOS in order to get it working....
Seams kinda strange to me if THAT'S the solution...

But I think troubleshooting THAT issue is for another thread - But that's up to you guys!!
I'm okay with keeping it all in one thread, even though it's kind of another topic..

Well - SAM is up and running again.. :clap:

Reinstalled the BIOS and loaded the profile that I had saved on a USB flash drive.

I'm guessing SAM will go haywire again ones I start fiddling with the RAM settings...
So, when I'm done tweaking the memory, I'll probably have to save the settings to an USB flash drive, re-install BIOS and then load the "USB profile" again... :screwy:

Before I start pulling DIMMs out of my PC (two of them) - Is it possible to get more out of the current 64GB I have installed, or is that a dead end??

I have a LITTLE video editing to do during the next month or so where all the DIMMs might come in handy (bad timing, I know).
Found out yesterday.

I don't expect to do any more editing after that.

Cool, glad you got SAM working again. I have a gigabyte X570 mobo running the F38a bios. I’m curious, which bios are you running?
Maybe try for 3600, but be willing to settle for 3000 or 3200 with the 64gb. Don’t forget to manually set the DRAM Voltage. My bios reset to Defaults because I was going for DDR4-3733 and left the voltage on Auto. Doh!

Cool, glad you got SAM working again. I have a gigabyte X570 mobo running the F38a bios. I’m curious, which bios are you running?
Maybe try for 3600, but be willing to settle for 3000 or 3200 with the 64gb. Don’t forget to manually set the DRAM Voltage. My bios reset to Defaults because I was going for DDR4-3733 and left the voltage on Auto. Doh!
I'm on the "F37b" BIOS (Gigabyte Aorus Master rev1.2) - It's the latest BIOS on the Gigabyte website (for my mobo)...

Yet another question - You say I should try for 3600... Isn't that lower than my current 4000?
Or are talking two different things here??

Are you currently running the 64GB of RAM at 4000 with a 1:1 infinity fabric? It was at 2666 in your CPUz screenshot. I've seen others try to get 64GB higher than 3600 & had a very hard time with it, so I'm just assuming you would have a hard time with it too.

Are you currently running the 64GB of RAM at 4000 with a 1:1 infinity fabric? It was at 2666 in your CPUz screenshot. I've seen others try to get 64GB higher than 3600 & had a very hard time with it, so I'm just assuming you would have a hard time with it too.
Dang - That first screenshot went horrible wrong in so many ways..

Right now I have this:
CPU-Z_02.png

Not sure if that's what you are asking

While your RAM is running at DDR4-4000 (2000MHz), your Uncore Frequency (Infinity Fabric) is 1000MHz, which can be a fair performance hit compared to running it 1:1 with the DRAM Frequency. You can use Cinebench R23 as a quick test to see if you're going in the direction of Moar. :)
That's why I was suggesting you try DDR4-3600 (1800MHz) with an 1800MHz Infinity Fabric to see if it can to it, and if it performs better. If you can run that, then up the RAM Frequency & IF together a little at a time. I hope that makes sense. @Woomack can explain it better than me.

To see it better without long explanations, simply run the AIDA64 memory benchmark at 4000 1:2 and 3600 1:1, and compare.

While your RAM is running at DDR4-4000 (2000MHz), your Uncore Frequency (Infinity Fabric) is 1000MHz, which can be a fair performance hit compared to running it 1:1 with the DRAM Frequency. You can use Cinebench R23 as a quick test to see if you're going in the direction of Moar. :)
That's why I was suggesting you try DDR4-3600 (1800MHz) with an 1800MHz Infinity Fabric to see if it can to it, and if it performs better. If you can run that, then up the RAM Frequency & IF together a little at a time. I hope that makes sense. @Woomack can explain it better than me.
AHHH !!!! (insert lit light bulb emoji here)

I'm nowhere near 1:1

Would I need cooling for my DIMMs? - Cause right now I have 4 DIMMs with ZERO clearance between them...

I haven't read about anyone hanging fans on DDR4. I think you'll be fine with just normal case airflow.

To see it better without long explanations, simply run the AIDA64 memory benchmark at 4000 1:2 and 3600 1:1, and compare.
I believe you !!

Are there any good alternatives to AIDA64 that you know of?
Sure there's a 30 day free trial, but after that :-/

I just know for sure, that this is gonna take me longer than that...

You can use a trial version, it won't show you memory copy bandwidth or something, but in general, it's still fine for a quick comparison.
DDR4 doesn't have to be actively cooled up to ~70°C and higher frequencies. If you keep ~1.40-1.45V, then it's fine if in the case is any airflow - fans or an AIO cooler on top of the case is usually enough.

1:1 works up to 3600-4000 with 2 memory modules (usually 4000 doesn't work). 4 memory modules may cause problems above 3600 but sometimes work up to 3733/3800. At 3600-3800 you can try tighter timings so something like CL14-17-16 1.45-1.50V (voltages you have to check on your own, if it works fine then try lower)
If I remember it correctly then you can expect something about 58GB/s bandwidth and ~50-55ns latency. A 1:2 ratio lowers the latency by about 7-10ns. To get good results at a 1:2 ratio, you need 4600-4800 and tighter timings. 4 memory modules won't work so high.

I haven't read about anyone hanging fans on DDR4. I think you'll be fine with just normal case airflow.
4xDIMMs_2.png

No airflow in between the DIMMs

That said - I DID think about getting a water block for the DIMMs when I started building this PC...
It was out of stock so I went ahead without :shrug:

AHHH !!!! (insert lit light bulb emoji here)

I'm nowhere near 1:1

Would I need cooling for my DIMMs? - Cause right now I have 4 DIMMs with ZERO clearance between them...

Just want to throw this out there: by 1:1 it means the IF and memory clock are the same. The IF is basically the speed that everything in the CPU outside of the cores themselves runs on (memory controller, L3 cache, tossing threads between cores etc). The IF clock has to be divisible by the memory clock, so once you run your memory faster than the CPU's fabric can keep up, it has to drop into 2:1. The benefit in memory speed isn't worth the trade off in slowing everything else down.

Having more capacity and more DIMMS is more stress on the memory controller (which is part of the CPU), so it makes it difficult to run higher memory clocks and higher fabric clocks. Honestly though, 3200, 3600, or above you're really starting to split hairs and see minor gains. Odds are you'll want to edit something again, so my advice is just to leave all the memory in there and see what it can do. If it's really holding you back (less than 3000) then go ahead and pull a couple sticks, but I bet it will be just fine. You almost certainly won't get 4000 1:1 with or without the sticks, and the difference isn't going to offset the trouble of having to do all this again next time you want to edit something.

Don't. Still not worth it. ;)

No fans in your case?? That will be plenty. RAM doesn't need active cooling unless you're really raising voltage and pushing the limits.

I do have fans in my case :sly: - But not much airflow around the DIMMs.
That combined with zero clearance between the DIMMs made me think that the two "middle" DIMMs wouldn't get any cooling at all.

I remember my good old ASUS P6T Deluxe v1 mobo with the Xeon X5690 and 48GB RAM.
Those DIMMs got toasty, so I threw a fan on top of them.

I was worried that the same thing might happen here.

I WOULD like to try and push the limits - But I don't have the skills to do so.

OH! - Side note - since I DO play a little Star Citizen once in a while, I asked about actual SC memory usage in their forum.
This one guy said that he have observed SC creeping up into the 40-ish GB of memory usage...
But he is also using Linux and Lutris/Wine - Don't know if that's the reason.

IF SC can use THAT much memory, then I'm probably keeping the 4 DIMMs installed - I'm guessing page file usage will always be slower than RAM.

Back