• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radiator size - Do I need to beef it up?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
- At some point when funds permits it, install a monoblock for CPU and VRMs.
Clearly this is an option.

I would work more on airFLOW, than I would worrying about the minutia you're stuck in. Front/sides = intake, top/rear = exhaust. You can play all you want (encouraged!) but the difference will only be a couple of C. :)

The point of mentioning a monoblock earlier was simply to describe the parts that actually need to be cooled. ;)

The only exhaust I have left is the 140mm fan in the back of the case (if all radiators are to be used as intakes at the top/front).
Not much 🤷‍♂️ - But I THINK one unobstructed 140mm fan might be able to cope - could install a high flow fan there if a P14 isn't enough.
Only guessing though.

That would insure cool air to both rads (top one COULD be sucking in a LITTLE of the hot air from the exhaust - There's a hole on the back right under the top cover).

Using the top rad as exhaust might provide more flow inside the case, but with this config I'm not sure if the rear fan should be used as intake or exhaust 🤔
Top rad would also have "warmer" air flowing over it.

Wish I bought myself an open test bench "case" instead 😩

airFLOW... my man. airFLOW...... if you use the top as exhaust (which is fine and what I recommend overall) the rear fan should also be exhaust for airFLOW purposes.

Getting a grip on airflow .... simply trying to keep it flowing in a simple straight forward and unobstructed way through your case. Generally that is in from the front out the top and back. This is the easiest way to keep air moving through your case. When you are able to keep air moving in your case you reduce Temps inside your case and certain components that need air moving over them to keep cool, like your ram and motherboard vrm.

You can use a reverse flow, ie .... in the top and out the front, I have done it but it is harder to do and Temps can suffer especially if your case is a little crowded. If you do a reverse flow you won't know till you try. Generally this isn't more the a couple degree and not the end of the world.

Have a read through this old thread. A loop I did back when FX first came out I was pushing for a max oc and my first attempt was disappointing. In the end I shave something like 20*C off my Temps I believe. That Cosmos Cas was nice but not great for watercooling. In the end when I cranked the fans there was nothing quiet about it but nice Temps for 5GHZ OC with heavy usage.

https://www.overclockers.com/forums...FX-Tamer-Water-Cooled-Upgrade?highlight=tamer

Have a read through this old thread. A loop I did back when FX first came out I was pushing for a max oc and my first attempt was disappointing. In the end I shave something like 20*C off my Temps I believe. That Cosmos Cas was nice but not great for watercooling. In the end when I cranked the fans there was nothing quiet about it but nice Temps for 5GHZ OC with heavy usage.

https://www.overclockers.com/forums...FX-Tamer-Water-Cooled-Upgrade?highlight=tamer

Good read 👍

Wish I had room for shrouds! Damn...

Back