• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

why would anyone do this?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zangler

correct me if i am wrong, but why would anyone build a 1100mhz duron system, if the duron chip is a hair more expensive than the athlon 1.4ghz and the 1.4 kills the duron in all the benchmark tests? it just does not make sense to me.

zangler said:
correct me if i am wrong, but why would anyone build a 1100mhz duron system, if the duron chip is a hair more expensive than the athlon 1.4ghz and the 1.4 kills the duron in all the benchmark tests? it just does not make sense to me.

I am thinking the same.... Sounds stupid to buy a chip that costs more but have less performance.

Zangler. You raise a very good point. However, you have to remember that AMD is in the business of CPU's..among other things. The Duron is bought and placed into PC's by manufacturers such as Brite. They buy them in quantity for very low prices and they produce custom PC orders by quantities of 10 or 10,000.

Many brand name PC vendors also produce small (soon to be larger) quantities of duron/athlon systems. You are blessed w/ knowing the difference that the average end user does not see. They see MHz...you see MHz, Cache, Core version, Bus, Memory..you get the idea.

One reason that comes to my mind would be availability. Perhaps the Duron is the only thing someone could get immediately and if they needed one right away then I suppose they'd have no choice. Although in today's world of next-day-shipping that's unlikely, but it is possible.

The Athlon is comparativley old. We'll probably see major price cuts on Durons while Athlons will be replaced by more expensive Palominos

So basically all o fyou are saying that there is no good reason to buy a slower more costly chip, dont feed me that just to expaeriment stuff. I dont know many peeps in here (and i know quite a few) that would ever get a Duron 1100. yesit s a Morgam core but so what if it clocks to 1.4-1.6 all tbird will do that anyway at a faster bench with less $$$ out of pocket. I mean we are hear in the AMD section b/c we like price vs performance. And that is NOT payng $120+ for a Duron 1100 when a tbird 1400 has 4x the cahce and alot more speed for only $100. I see no good reason in all those replies to get a Duron.

Just my opinion, so dont cry please:eek: :D

If I had to pick from a T-bird 1.4 or a Duron 1.1, I would buy the Duron no questions asked. I would love to personally experiment with the Morgan core. I think we all have a little curiosity when it comes to new technology. That's just me!

i think i would have to agree with jaws (for a bit) ... i would buy the duron ... we all know what the t bird 1.4 is capable of ... but we dont know anything about the duron 1.1
if you go higher then 1gig on your cpu you almost dont feel lots of changes with other +1gig systems
the only thing that would make me want to buy the t bird is because of its cache that is a lot higher then the duron

this chip is not a magical chip. i cannot do anything that some technology right now cant do. what experimenting are you talking about? if it is slower, and more costly, then that is all there is to say. it is not very smart to pay $20more, and get a %10 drop in most applications. i think that is why you guys did not buy intel to begin with. except instead of $20 more it is more like $100+ more.

Reasons to buy Morgan:

#1: SMP Optimization. Dual 1 GHz Morgans will outperform dual 1 GHz Birds in SMP.

#2: Hardware prefetch.

#3: Larger TLB.

#4: SSE optimizations.

#5: Morgan is way less of a pain in the neck to cool.

I think we'll see Morgans coming down in price soon - and TBirds aren't likely to get much lower. AMD is already cutting back production on the "old" chips and the laws of supply and demand will kick in.

But yeah, for a single cpu system, a TBird 1.4 is still a better deal.

SickBoy said:
Reasons to buy Morgan:

Why is a Morgan easier to cool? The die size is larger on an Athalon still right? Therefore wouldn't you have less heat per square centimeter to dissipate?

SickBoy said:
Reasons to buy Morgan:

#1: SMP Optimization. Dual 1 GHz Morgans will outperform dual 1 GHz Birds in SMP.

#2: Hardware prefetch.

#3: Larger TLB.

#4: SSE optimizations.

I think we'll see Morgans coming down in price soon - and TBirds aren't likely to get much lower. AMD is already cutting back production on the "old" chips and the laws of supply and demand will kick in.

But yeah, for a single cpu system, a TBird 1.4 is still a better deal.

for all of those reasons...why not buy intel?

zangler said:

for all of those reasons...why not buy intel?

No, not the dreaded "I" word. j/k Everyone loves new challenges, that's why I would pick the Duron. It's just something new to play with. I'm sure it will be the same way when the xp's come out. I think the Morgan core has something internally different to keep the temps down. I can't remember what it was. :confused:

If I had the money I think it would be fun to experiment with the Morgan core also. But, if you're actually going for your own system I would definately say go with the athlon 1.4

let me just say this....i love amd, and i cant wait until they are closer to the 2gig mark, but i am very happy i paid $105 for my [email protected], instead of the $260 for the palomino 1800+. it saved me over $150 and it is only 6% faster or so anyway. i am really appreciating my t-bird right about now.

Well the morgan will heat up just like the regualr tbird. and still under a sec will be toast.

Intel so far knows how to make a chip. it would be nice to see AMD learn from them and make improvments.

if my heatsink slips clocking down the processor would be cool but even with amd thermal sensor its not quick enough.

as we all know now its all about clock speed. i just wish amd would work on there core more and even switching packaging would help.

id buy a dift motherboard if i knew my chip layout wasnt going to fry.

Back