• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Power supply or video card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KeepItCool101

Hey, recently after restarting my computer it gave me a message saying that my video card wasnt hooked up correctly to the power extension cord. I was pretty sure that it was connected right because it was working for a while before this, so I decided to take the card out and look I noticed a pin on the power extension cord was fried also was the corresponding pin on my video card, since this i cant get my computer to get passed that message. I am about to send the video card into ATI to get it fixed and im wondering if it was my videocard or my power supply that caused this?? Will i be safe with a fixed card?

AMD 64 3200+
ATI Radeon 9800 pro
Epox EP-8KDA3J
Fortron 530W

I'm not good with electronics so hopefully somebody can provide more information, but I don't think you can be sure it is either one or the other. If you could test either of them in a working system it would be helpful.

you should have a friend or someone with a AGP card, thats how you check if a vid card is bum, if im not wrong the 9800 pro isnt connected directly to the PSU but through the mobo so i think it'd be either the vid card or mobo

my 6800 once it isnt getting power from a PSU connector makes a really loud beeping sound, but if the 9800 is different, then just try connecting it with the molex in the CD/DVD optical drive

It could have been several different problems.

1) It was not connected firmly to the Vid card and it shorted.

2) The video card failed and exceeded the Amps rating on the plug and smoked it. If it is the 5V pin (the Red wire) that failed I would lean towards this.

3) The PSU is starting to go and overvolted the line.

What kind of PSU are you using?

Have you ever had problems with power in the past? Drives disappearing on boot up etc.

Has your video card been flickering or blacking out recently especially when gaming?

Electron Chaser said:
It could have been several different problems.

1) It was not connected firmly to the Vid card and it shorted.

2) The video card failed and exceeded the Amps rating on the plug and smoked it. If it is the 5V pin (the Red wire) that failed I would lean towards this.

3) The PSU is starting to go and overvolted the line.

What kind of PSU are you using?

Have you ever had problems with power in the past? Drives disappearing on boot up etc.

Has your video card been flickering or blacking out recently especially when gaming?

He has a Forton 530, read first thread :)

ya, id agree with electron chaser....it sounds like your vid card crapped out on you. It cant be your psu, if everything else on that line is working fine

shellshock said:
He has a Forton 530, read first thread :)

ya, id agree with electron chaser....it sounds like your vid card crapped out on you. It cant be your psu, if everything else on that line is working fine

LOL OK so I missed that. It's late and I'm tired. That being the case while I won't entirely rule out the PSU at this point. I am leaning more towards the video card being the culprit by letting the magic smoke out.

Well my main HD is connected to the same power line so thats why i think its my video card, i mean if was my PSU i think my HD would of went to? And no ive never had any problems before with flickering or drives disappearing. This is my first problem with my system since I put it together in July.

Back