• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick in Dirty mod for ct-479 users

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

walaka7

I bought the ct-479, an Asus P4P800 SE, and a dothan 1.7. The ct-479 kit comes with its own aluminum heat sink that fits with the extra height of the add on board and the power connector that the adapter needs. Its not all that bad of a setup as I'm running my 1.7 @ 2350 (benches @ 2550 fine) and the temps stay in the high 40's/ low 50's at stock voltage full load. But like most of you I wanted lower temps. So i went to my local PC store and "eyeballed" some potential replacements. What is needed is a HS with a small footprint on the proc so it can clear the power connector and dip switches. Out of all the ones i looked at, only the Big Typhoon fit the bill. I dont like Thermaltake products because they are quite inconsistant in performance, and a lot of the time they just look cheap and flimsy. However, the Big Typhoon looked to be a step above prior sinks I've seen from TT so i gave it a shot. The footprint is just right and clears the added parts of the board. However, two of the holes are partialy blocked by the socket adapter which limits most to using only what will fit in the cage (None of which i saw would clear) So after a couple of minutes of thought, I broke out the dremel and a couple of 3/8 bolts (Grade 5 for easy modding). I notched out the center of them to clear the adapter and line up with the holes of the mainboard and the HS bracket. After making sure there was room I then drilled .128 in holes and tapped to 4mm. After shaving a couple of bolts to correct size, and modding one of the stands to clear a resister on the board, I mounted the HS to the board. The fan that comes with the sink looks like in only flows about 50 cfm, so it got tossed and replaced with a panaflow (bout 130 CFM) . Im not sure if I'm gonna pop it back off soon yet, so i used Motorcraft brake grease for thermal compound (clear dielectric grease) in the mean time, and when I'm done messing around with it i may put AS5 on.

My temps are 38*-40* C Folding 100% load
with NB temp @ 30-32* C

After a couple of hours folding:
CPU= 35* C
NB = 29* C

I think tomorrow this thing may be ready for some voltage :)

Here's some pics:
Pic 1 Pic2 Pic 3 Pic 4 Pic 5

Last edited:
gj i wish i can my hands on 1 of these.....if abit makes those converters ill think about it

Ven0m said:
Crazy OC, crazy speed.
And how are game benchies and 3Dmark?

This whole project started out as a dedicated folding rig. You would fall out of your chair laughing if you knew what vid card i have in it. So no, i haven't done any game benchies with it. I thought that because of the crap memory bandwidth, that it would be severly limited to anthing but number crunching. I see after digging around though, that i am quite wrong about this and perhaps i should throw a decent vid card at it and see what it does. Of course now that means i gotta buy one LOL

Thanks for the props :attn:

Nope older ;)

as in TNT 2 64 older :D
I'm looking into buying an up to date card.. in the mean time i might borrow my friends 6800gt (He owes me big :) )and run some benchies on it. Only problem with that though is I have to mod my case to support the typhoon through the side so it doesn't crush the core in transit. I never intended the rig to ever have to be moved so it lays on its side with the panel off.

Last edited:
Back