• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My first install

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

squasher

Well, I have finally put together my new system I can't help it I have to show it off
2400+
si-97 and 3 blade delta (I have water testing in the bathtub right now)
NF7
fortron 400w p/n

Alright now that I'm done with that...
I bought a used HDD here, I thought it was clean. I stared up, and after i left bios windows ME started to run! I really want to install yoper, can I do this even though windows is installed?
If I have to take off windows, how do I do that.
Thanks in advance!

How would I do a dual boot. Remember, I dont have the winos cd. I think dual boot would be better because I could mess around in linux and have windows for work. Can I fold with a dual boot? Thats the real question.

The distro you choose should have instructions on how to set up a dual boot system, and you can fold on dual boot, no problem!

I'm not sure, but I think that GRUB is installed with yoper automatically...but i'm not sure....GRUB is the "newer" boatloader, and can boot between both windows and linux.

Yes you can fold on a linux os.

I had Yoper running with a Dual Boot on my system. Abit Nf7-S. I had Windows on one hard drive and Yoper on the other. The Bootloader (Grub or Lilo) Is in the boot sector of the hard drive and you can overwrite that without killing Windows. At first when I set up my dual boot system Lilo installed without Windows Listed. I has to go into Yoper and manually add Windows onto the bootloader, but it was not a big problem. Also Im going to have to suggest SuSE over Yoper. Yoper is a really nice distro and all, but It does not have the support you might want. Then again I am trying to do unusual things on my Distro so If your just going to do Net/Word Processing/Folding on your rig Yoper should be fine for you.

I want to play around with linux (this is my first time). I was thinking about going to suse so I might look that over again.

mudpark41 said:
I had Yoper running with a Dual Boot on my system. Abit Nf7-S. I had Windows on one hard drive and Yoper on the other. The Bootloader (Grub or Lilo) Is in the boot sector of the hard drive and you can overwrite that without killing Windows. At first when I set up my dual boot system Lilo installed without Windows Listed. I has to go into Yoper and manually add Windows onto the bootloader, but it was not a big problem. Also Im going to have to suggest SuSE over Yoper. Yoper is a really nice distro and all, but It does not have the support you might want. Then again I am trying to do unusual things on my Distro so If your just going to do Net/Word Processing/Folding on your rig Yoper should be fine for you.
what kind of weird stuff?

edit: I mean unusual.

I looked at suse, and I don't have a dvd burner and I am too impatient to wait for the disk to come so I tried to install yoper. I can't even boot from the cd!
I went into bios and said to boot from cd first. When I do that with the disk in, it spins up the cd while win me is loading. How do I even boot from the cd?

eNightmare said:
what kind of weird stuff?

edit: I mean unusual.

Gaming with Cedega but here's my twist. I have the nVidia SoundStorm onboard sound device. It supports 3 seperate sound devices 1 Combined Input/Output device, a single output and another single input. I want to have a syslink from /dev/dsp/ (the Default Audio Setting for most programs) by a syslink to /dev/adp0/ Which I want to make my Single Output device. I then want to use the program Teamspeak on /dev/dsp0/ which will stay the Combined Input/Output device. This way I would be able to play game like Half Life 2 and talk to my Clan in Teamspeak on Linux. I could not find any support/documentation on how to do something like this with Yoper. SuSE has a much larger support community that can help me do this.

Also SuSE reminds me a like of a more Refined Yoper. Just seems more well built somehow.

You have to burn the iso as an image, not just the iso file onto the cd. Don't worry, we have all done that at least once.

If you are using nero, you can right click on the iso and "open with...Nero" and it will do everything for you almost. That should work with most window burners, if not most have an option somewhere in the menu bar to burn and iso image.

mudpark41 said:
Gaming with Cedega but here's my twist. I have the nVidia SoundStorm onboard sound device. It supports 3 seperate sound devices 1 Combined Input/Output device, a single output and another single input. I want to have a syslink from /dev/dsp/ (the Default Audio Setting for most programs) by a syslink to /dev/adp0/ Which I want to make my Single Output device. I then want to use the program Teamspeak on /dev/dsp0/ which will stay the Combined Input/Output device. This way I would be able to play game like Half Life 2 and talk to my Clan in Teamspeak on Linux. I could not find any support/documentation on how to do something like this with Yoper. SuSE has a much larger support community that can help me do this.

Also SuSE reminds me a like of a more Refined Yoper. Just seems more well built somehow.

Isn't Yoper supposed to be a lot faster than suse?

****!
I think I really messed something up when I tried to do the partition. I did what I thought was correct, but when i exited the partitioner, it says that i did do it. I confirmed it and everything in the partitioner.
can somebody tell me how to get this right?

what utility did you use to partition your disk?

edit: i think that the yoper partitioning is pretty tricky...is that what you decided on?

eNightmare said:
Isn't Yoper supposed to be a lot faster than suse?

Yeah Yoper is supposed to be a lot faster than Suse, but I have not noticed much of a difference in speed. Suse just seems a lot better to me.

Back