• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dell 2005FPW vs Dell 24"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

whitebloodcell

I'm trying to decide between these two screens. Oviously I would prefer the 24" but is it worth the price premium? Over here the 2005FPW is £400 and I can get the 24" for £700. That'll be a big stretch for me. Main reason I am getting one is for gaming. I dont really watch DVDs on my Computer. I want to run my games with all eye candy on max, currently I'll have an Ultra and Venice @ 2.7Ghz hopefully.

For those of you who have had both? Is the 24" worth the money over the 20.1"?

I like big screen with high resolution since I've got it for $850 US Dollars, I think worth it for the money I've spent. One thing for sure that once you have gone with 24" LCD Monitor, you wouldn't go back to small screen :) I don't know about England but you can get 2005FPW at US really cheap so keep an eye on best deal, you can't go wrong with either one

Nothing in England is cheap, if I could get pc stuff at US prices itd be hard to describe how happy Id be at the moment.

the 20.1" direct from Del right now is at ist cheapest ever of £400. The 24" is £1127 on a 45 day lead time. Hardly a bargain. You can pick up the 24" from third party retailers for minimum £700.

Last edited:
The 2005fpw is actually 20.1" not 21", I have one and love it, but I got an excellent deal on it. I'm with you, the 24" is still a little too expensive.

What sort of screen are you coming from? Ive been using a 17" CRT for years, and the step up to 20.1 widescreen (just bought a 2005fpw) has been amazing. I dont know if Id need anything larger at the moment - Id probably want dual monitors instead. One thing that I like about the 2405 is the component inputs and 1080 HD support, but I couldnt stretch my budget any further. I dunno, 20" seems perfect (films and games are sweet), 24" would be nicer but maybe you could save the cash and spend it on better things?

Then again if Id bought the 2405 Id probably be saying how amazing that is and how you should definitely pay the extra :p

Are you the sort of person who upgrades often, or keeps stuff till it dies? Thats something to consider. If the latter, maybe you should go for the best you can afford.

I am upgrading from an 18" (Yes 18") Dell LCD. 1280x1024 Res. I am hoping this monitor is going to last me a good few years. I havent really had the opportunity to upgrade much before. Ive always had a Dell Computer, but now I'm building my own I guess I'll be upgrading on a sort of yearly basis. Graphics etc. But as I said, this monitor has to last me atleast a few years.

In that case, if you can get the 2405 for £700 then I would go for it. Youll be avoiding the backlight leakage issues with the 2005fpw for a start, and I think in the long run £300 extra isnt really that much for a display youll be using a lot.

You have a good point, I will be using it alot. I thought the backlight issues had been resolved? £300 is still alot though. I dont currently have any income (16yr old Student you see) so this is literally my life savings being spent. I'll get a job over the Summer, and in theory be able to pay it back though. I am thinking alot about the 24" now, I should be able to get it for £670 inc Del and Warranty which aint bad.

Last edited:
whitebloodcell said:
I thought the backlight issues had been resolved?

Me too. Then I got mine on Saturday and found that it has terrible leakage on the lower left hand corner :( I'll call Dell tomorrow.

whitebloodcell said:
You have a good point, I will be using it alot. I thought the backlight issues had been resolved? £300 is still alot though. I dont currently have any income (16yr old Student you see) so this is literally my life savings being spent. I'll get a job over the Summer, and in theory be able to pay it back though. I am thinking alot about the 24" now, I should be able to get it for £670 inc Del and Warranty which aint bad.

If your in that situation, I would definately get the 2005 (assuming your getting it with a deal). Get your priorities straight. Is the 2405 really worth it to you? After you bought it, will you have any regrets? Don't be greedy.

You know that all your mates will be drooling if you get the 2405. Check things out for the best deal.

i think it will be only a matter of time before the price drops substantially. maybe wait like 2 years? perhaps you dont have that much time :santa:

2005 seems like a good deal right now and if batboy says its good then it probably is :sn:

I have the 2005fpw and I'm very happy with it. Never even seen the 24" one, but I from the reviews I've seen, the 24" is high quality. I was just saying if you got one, you will be the envy of all your buddies.

I've been asking myself the very same question, the 20.1" or the 24". And i live in Ireland, so the prices are even more again than the UK and US.

If I ever get the money together, i'll more than likely go for the 20.1", the 24" just costs way too much.

And if i were to buy it, i'd get it off eBay, there's lots of respectable sellers selling it at around €600.

;)

BTW, i've read lots of reviews of the 24" Dell, and some reviewers say it's almost too big. If you can imagine 24 inches of LCD right in front of you, I think they could be right...

When getting it off of Ebay remember that the Powersellers who ship them over from the US. Firstly, they say they guarantee no VAT. Notice the * next to guarantee. You can still get hit, some of the sellers then pay half, other give you £20.

And most importantly none of them have a warranty, even if they say they do. US warrantys are not transferable over to the UK. Full Stop. You would have to get it shipped back to the US.

I reccomend looking around message board forums, thats where Ive gone, got a good deal. Alot of people who bought 2 because the 2nd was half price are selling them off.

Well, eBay is where I buy everything I own, so I know all the tricks the sellers play.

And the ones I was looking at were UK based and had UK warranties.

;)

where are the classifieds on this forum..can't find them anywhere..or maybe there just aren't any

Back