• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Traveling With Hard Drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

neonblingbling

I am leaving on a business trip this Saturday, for a good month and a half. I was wondering what would be the best way to take a spare internal 80 gig hard drive with me. Should I throw it in the retail box, packed between clothes, and wish for the best? Any chances of data loss? Anything worth knowing? Thanks.

Yes, it should be enough protection. After all, hard drives in the retail packaging usually survive the truck delivery!
I'd say try to take it with you onto the plane if you can. One time, I had a suitcase damaged by rough handling.

Dell_Axim said:
Yes, it should be enough protection. After all, hard drives in the retail packaging usually survive the truck delivery!
I'd say try to take it with you onto the plane if you can. One time, I had a suitcase damaged by rough handling.

Won't I be in trouble if they ask me to prove it is in working condition if I carry on? Like, I won't have a desktop I can plug it into, and then they will be like "OMGOMGOMGBOMBOMBBOMBTERRORISTTERRORISTSHOOTONSITE." :rolleyes:

Install the drive in an enclosure and take a laptop with you to demonstrate that it works.

...any information if xrays screw up data/anti-static bags mess the system up?
People have been putting laptops through the x-ray scanner without problems. It won't mess with magnetic media.
The only common thing that's likely to be affected are certain types of films.

Certain type of film as in above 800. All film upto 800 (Film speed or a measure of its response) is safe. Photographic plates are not and I don't think certain grades of slide film are either. Since I always use 100 speed there is no problem.

As for the original question, you should have no problems at the airport. Just tell the people in charge that your HDD contains important data and is fragile. That is a pretty reasonable explanation.

Super Nade said:
As for the original question, you should have no problems at the airport. Just tell the people in charge that your HDD contains important data and is fragile. That is a pretty reasonable explanation.

Hehe, I guess I better at least format it and throw some stuff on (ahem, stuff that won't get me in trouble) on it before I leave.

Hey there,

I've been through this situation before, so hopefully I can be of help.

When I went home from college over winter break, I simply couldn't fly home my entire system in its Antec P160 case -- so instead I just brought my 160GB hard drive home so I could still access my media.

The hard drive originally came in this shiny, translucent, dark grey plastic; I just put the drive back into that bag, gave it a few layers of bubble wrap, and put it into my carry-on backpack. There were no hassles whatsoever. My hard drive works fine after two such trips.

X-ray scanners shouldn't affect hard disks -- think of all the iPods that get sent through airport scanners everyday.

couldn't you just bring a power supply with you and if they DID ask you, just plug it into the wall and plug the hd in and turn it on? would that even work?

Calculusaurus said:
Hey there,

I've been through this situation before, so hopefully I can be of help.

When I went home from college over winter break, I simply couldn't fly home my entire system in its Antec P160 case -- so instead I just brought my 160GB hard drive home so I could still access my media.

The hard drive originally came in this shiny, translucent, dark grey plastic; I just put the drive back into that bag, gave it a few layers of bubble wrap, and put it into my carry-on backpack. There were no hassles whatsoever. My hard drive works fine after two such trips.

X-ray scanners shouldn't affect hard disks -- think of all the iPods that get sent through airport scanners everyday.

No offence to others, but I personally like these kinds of posts the most. Been there, done that.

As for the PSU idea... Sure, it will spin up, but when you short these two pins, the bomb goes off! :rolleyes:

I've taken my hard drive through security several times with no hassles. Just stuck it in my carryon and it went through x-ray unscathed. Nothing to worry about.

Back