• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any reason to upgrade from a winchester?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Quailane

I just want to talk my brother out of buying a Venice for absolutely NO reason. Right now he runs a Winchester 3000+ at 2.7Ghz stable all day and in everything. The heatsink WILL burn you though, lol. He wants to buy a 3000+ venice, but I think nothing can be gained from that. Am I right? He is running an extreme overclocked 9800pro that I did for him and a gig of ram at 270Mhz. Won't this be a complete waste of money? I know everyone else upgraded from their crappy winchesters, but this one isn't so.

I would prefer the winny actually. Like the other guys said, take the money and put it into something else.

Yeah, nobody ever believes that the winnie is getting so hot, but how many have it that high on the retail sink?

Anyway, I convinced him to buy a new wireless network instead. (cheaper too)

For the same money, he could build a decent watercooling rig and run with less noise while protecting that excellent Winchester from melting down. He'd then have a good cooling setup for the next upgrade, probably to an AMD dual-core, which would need moderately serious cooling to get a good overclock. Also, if his current CPU is running that hot, he might be able to go even higher once it has decent cooling. I think his chances of getting to 2.9 with the current chip on water are as good or better than with a Venice on the stock heatsink.

Quailane said:
I just want to talk my brother out of buying a Venice for absolutely NO reason. Right now he runs a Winchester 3000+ at 2.7Ghz stable all day and in everything. The heatsink WILL burn you though, lol. He wants to buy a 3000+ venice, but I think nothing can be gained from that. Am I right? He is running an extreme overclocked 9800pro that I did for him and a gig of ram at 270Mhz. Won't this be a complete waste of money? I know everyone else upgraded from their crappy winchesters, but this one isn't so.
talk him out of it. if he's already getting 2.7 ! with the slim chance he will hit 2.8-2.9 with a venice isn't worth it imo. i see very little dif from when i ran 2.7 to my current 2.9

Some Venice CPUs can't hit anything over 2.7GHz so I wouldn't bother getting one seeing as the CPU is so fast as is. Watercooling may allow for an even higher overclock as from the sounds of it your bro's CPU is a very good chip.

Back