• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP! Gigabyte GA-7N400 - BSODs and now will not POST

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mcastleberg

Registered
Hi, I need some help fixing this computer for my brother. The last few weeks his computer has been getting like 5-10 BSODs per day and yesterday the thing began showing BSOD on bootup. I figured it might be bad memory so I took a spare stick of ram over to try it out. Now, no matter what I do, I cannot even get the thing to POST. It is an Athlon XP 2500 on a Gigabyte GA-7N400 motherboard. I believe the BIOS is Phoenix as there is a chip on the board that says "Phoenix BIOS" :). Upon powering up the machine I get 1 long beep, pause, 1 long beep, pause...and this goes on indefinitely. I've checked around and found some sites that have the Phoenix beep codes but nowhere did I find any mention of 1 long beep repeated over and over. I've tried a spare CPU in the machine as well and got the exact same behavior so I think I've ruled out memory and CPU. I think the only thing left is this idiotic motherboard. Any suggestions?

I use the same mobo but have experienced none of these problems. I'd e-mail Gigabyte about it, or Phoenix, and see what they have to say.

Sometimes if you remove the peripherals NIC,SC, VC you may be able to narrow it down. Also you never know the extra ram you tried may be bad as well. Best thing to do is to try hardware you know works in a current machine.

tried clearning CMOS? i have the GA-7N400Pro2, and clearing CMOS sometimes helps with random BSODs..and hmm, 1 long beep repeating? ive never come across that one o.0

Careface*

According to my mobo manual continuous repeating long beeps is a memory error, long and short beeps continuous means mobo + memory, if that helps at all.

Also try the memory in different slots and only use 1 stick at a time , thats if you got more than 1 stick.

Back