• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Flash 6600 BIOS on PCI-E XFX 6200 256 MB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JasonE4

I just built the system in my sig and now I'm tweaking it. I was on a very limited budget, so I picked up a refurb XFX 6200 256 MB. It's a good card for the money, and many people have successfuly unlocked all 8 pipes and gotten some pretty solid overclocking out of the 6200's. Anyway, my 6200 has the A2 core. I have succesfully unlocked all 8 pipes via rivatuner and overclocked the core to 450 (highest that rivatuner can go) and the mem to 575. The system is completely stable at these settings and I get a 3dmark03 score of about 6000 (not bad for a $62 card).

I see that a lot of people have been successful in flashing these to 6600 and getting some gains in performance, and also enabling temperature monitoring. Would I be able to do this and which BIOS should I use? I have heard that people use nvflash to flash the bios. Is nvflash the best option? Also, is there any way to do the flash without a floppy drive? I do have one, but I would need to find it and hook it up.

450 max on RivaTuner doesn't mean max, use Coolbits, you can push it to whatever you want. Also, 575 for memory is kind of slow. You should be pushing 650+. You can also flash bios from a bootable cd. I don't know exactly how to do it but someone should let you know.

I know that 450 for the core isn't the max. I'm going to move to coolbits soon. However, the memory on this card isn't the best. I've gone to 601 completely stable. But it won't do much more than that. That's why I'm wondering if maybe a bios flash would help.

JasonE4 said:
Clocked it to 520/580 and got ~6800 in 3dmark03. I'd really like to permanently flash the pipe open. Anyone?
I would flash to an XFX bios if anything. There are a number of guides to flashing video cards both hear and on google.

I've looked around and I haven't found too many helpful sites. What I'm really having problems finding is a bios for the xfx 6600. I've looked on mvktech.net and searched google, but I can't find any. Also, is temperature monitoring enabled on the 6600? I've heard it was, and that a couple people have enabled temp monitoring on their 6200's.

Anyone have the XFX 6600 bios? I could find a leadtek 6600 bios as well as an evga bios. Do you think I could flash either of those?

Back