• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Choosing the right case fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you like thermaltake then you should get some of these: 90mm and 80mm. They both come with fan controller so you can go beyond 2500RPM if you like.

Last edited:
I don't want complete silence. I think that a fan at 2500rpm can't be silent. What is the difference between ball bearing and sleeve bearing?

Sleeve bearings are more quiet but they have a much shorter life. I don't really know how to translate rpm into db but the tt fan you have their is made to be silent. What is your hs fan as that will most likely be your loudest fan?

My heatsink fan is a Thermaltake volcano 6CU (2700rpm).The thermaltake 90mm fan posted by RedDragonXXX goes up to 4000rpm, too loud i think. My temps get very high sometimes (50C for the case and 72C for the cpu). Big difference between that of the case and that of the cpu

Just so you know, there isn't a 1:1 relationship between fan speed measured in RPMs and fan noise measured in dBas. There are some "faster" fans that are quieter than some "slower" fans.

What do you think is better? Putting a fan in the rear of the case or at the side panel?

You must have a balance of intake and exhaust, slightly more exhaust is good. Once cool air enters your system from Intake. A temperature exchange happens. This cool air that entered, has now turned warm from your system. Thus you need to get that warm air out ASAP, before it conducts back into your system. If you lack Exhaust, then you wont really have any temperature drop. Vice versa. I suggest 120mm fans, even at lower CFM they shall produce better results. Since your 120mm fan is covering more space. I suggest utilizing your rear/front/side fan slots.

I disagree, I have found a little more intake to be better most of the time. Having both is nessisary though. Also the 120mm will not be better if you are having lower cfm, they will just be quieter. I do agree that you should use all possible fan slots though. But if you do want extreme quiet, the front and the back would be best for you.

Back